We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

Nilai, Negari...
2 posts
Save Topic
What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

I have booked ticket to Balikpapan on 6Apr ~ 9Apr 2014 (4day/3nite) for 6adults/2childs.

Now need to search for more information of Balikpapn what can do n see. My questions as follow:-

Is there have long ear woman village to visit... Where n how long journey from balikpapan?

Is there having water rafting nearby... For adult only...Where n how to go from balikpapan?

Anything at Long Sungai Barang/Dayak Banuag n Mahakam river to do/see .....

Please help me out

From/SK Wong

14 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

despite being born in balikpapan, i do not know as much as i should, but i do know this much.

you can see/go/do

crocodile farm(eat some crocs satay, which surprisingly, is quite gud).

bush/forest/nature walk (lots of mosquitos, wear long pants & slevees + buy a bug repellant, locally just as gud as those u get anywhere else).

cheap and awesome seafoods (ask me where)

depend where ur from/background, there a stall/restaurant to suit ur taste.

there a orang utan reserve, expensive thou.

1500usd/pax for 3 night stay, afaik.

i personally never been there ;p

too expensive for me.

there is also skydiving, if u are interested.

other than that i have no clue whatelse a tourist might enjoy.

sry cant help u wif ur questions.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 05:59
Singapore, Singapore
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

Visit the beach, just next to Pertamina's Helipad or as the locals call it "Helipad". Nice and quiet beach, great for photos.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

There is a native Dayak Pampang Village (the tribes who have long ears) open for tourism in East Kalimantan. It is located about 1 hour drive from Samarinda or 3 hours from Balikpapan. Here's the link : http://www.borneotourgigant.com/Pampang.html

Most of them don't speak Indonesian or English, but if you take picture of them, they expect you to give tips. They do dance performances and sell traditional souvenirs. Cash only. I believe this village open for tourism only for the weekend. Most of the people spend 1-3 hours in this location.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

There is a native Dayak Pampang Village (the tribes who have long ears) open for tourism in East Kalimantan. It is located about 1 hour drive from Samarinda or 3 hours from Balikpapan. Here's the link : http://www.borneotourgigant.com/Pampang.html

Most of them don't speak Indonesian or English, but if you take picture of them, they expect you to give tips. They do dance performances and sell traditional souvenirs. Cash only. I believe this village open for tourism only for the weekend. Most of the people spend 1-3 hours in this location.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

you can also visit Bangkirai hills where you walk on canopy bridge. the bridge strung along 64 m connecting 5 Bangkirai tree at a height of 30 m. its about 1.5 hours drive from balikpapan.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
82 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

We, a family with a 15 year old son, were at Balikpapan from 1st-6th November 2013 but found it very boring, not much to explore. We spend most of the time in the hotel, relaxing, swimming, gym and on the internet. I spent most of my time doing tour planning for my next year's holiday in overseas. Balikpapan was not a good place for tourist. The beach in Balikpapan is not as attractive as those we have been. At first, we wanted to go over to Samarinda but having heard that there is nothing much there, we decided not to go there.

Nilai, Negari...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

Dear Sir,

Many thanks of you information given n will try on it.

Best regards

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
82 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

Dear SK Wong,

Some tips: 1. If you are going to Bukit Bangkirai to go for the Canopy Bridge, you are advised to bring along a sport shoe which I did not, so was not able to go for it.

2. If possible, go for Novotel Balikpapan Hotel. We stayed in Swiss-Belinn for a night but the room is too small which later we were given a bigger room next to the Spa which was under renovation at that time. Imagine the noise of knocking! Then we switch to Swiss Belhotel for 2 nights, near shopping complex, market and beautiful view of the sea but the swimming pool was in the midst of upgrading. Finally, we move to Novotel for 2 nights despite the negative reviews of some guests. We had a pleasant stay with tight security, classy lobby, room spacious & comfortable, good view and near to good food.

3. From Novotel, we could easily walk down to have our meals. We had good seafood at Ocean's Resto with reasonable price, Rumah Makan Orient (on the main road, same row as Holland Bakery) which is very much like home-cook food with very, very low price and last of all which you must not miss is the Lemper (pulut rice with rendang chicken) at Holland Bakery. We ate few pieces each for the 3 days. Something unique and delicious.

4. A word of caution: never, never go to The Beach House, Manggar where we had the most expensive fried rice, close to RM25 for a plate of simple nasi goreng seafood. With yound coconut juice and tax, our bills came up to RM121 for 3 persons.

I hope the above will be of some help to you.

Kuala Lumpur...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

Do you think a worth visit to Balik papan? Is gems cheap over there?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
82 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!

If given the choice, I would prefer to go to many others, more interesting places as the world is too big to cover and explore. No idea about gems in this place. Even if there is, I have no confidence to purchase it as we might not know the difference between the genuine one and the artificial one.

Reply to: What can do n see at Balikpapan!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balikpapan