We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mrauk U

Daylesford...
Level Contributor
10 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mrauk U

I have read that most popular mode for tourists to travel to Mrauk U is to take a domestic flight from Yangon to Sittwe and board a boat from Sittwe against the Kaladan River. The hotels in Mrauk U also arrange private boat services to and from Sittwe.

Would anyone know how long it would take to drive and if the drive is worth it, as in senerary?

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mrauk U

It takes about 5 hrs.

There are only two way to go to Mrauk U. By car, the road is terrible and will take about 6 hrs. Then more expensive. A jeep on the bumpy road.

By boat, It's the most convenient and comfortable way. So it doesn't matter whether it is scenic or not.

No other choice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mrauk U

I thought the road is close to international tourists. Flying + boat is your best way.

yangon
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mrauk U

Hi, i was born in Rakhine coast. as far as i know , as mentioned above, i dont think international tourists are allowed to go by car, all of tourists try by boat. It is a convenient one take 5 hours cross Kalandan and laymyo river. Actually the road is terrible , extremely jumpy. Mrauk_U 15th century rakhine capital pretty much worth visiting.A great chance to see tatooed lady, only in chin village above Mrauk_u.

Thanks

Mandalay, Myanmar
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mrauk U

I just lifted this from the MTT website myanmartravelsandtours.com/tourist-informati…

"Package Tours and F.I.Ts are allowed through the inland route to Sittway, Mrauk-U, Ngapali, Thandwe, Gwa and Taungkoke either by plane, car or ship".

seems like you can take a car or boat, just as kkym suggested.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mrauk U

Mrauk U is one of the great archaeology site and scenic beauty beside BIG 4 destination of Myanmar.

Day walk in Sittwe is fabulous and amazing morning fish market at Bay of Bengal.

Sittwe-MraukU Private boat trips is interesting along Kaladan river and it may take 5 to 6 hours.But its costly ; From 1 to 5 persons ; one way for whole boat rental cost is 190 USD.

For budget travelers ; the passenger boat is interesting and driving 9 to 10 hours.

Please read this article links for details ;

http://www.burmacenter.org/090414web.pdf

6. Re: Mrauk U

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 21:19