We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

We are visiting this summer and cannot decide between these two hotels. I understand the issues related to ownership of both hotels. I've gotten through all of that so if anyone has any guidance on the merits of one over the other vis a vis their respective locations, that would be most appreciated. Please don't comment if you haven't stayed at one or the other. I'm looking for solid information regarding the two hotels' respective locations. Is the Aureum very isolated? My big concern is being trapped there and having little or not option for entertainment, walking around, dining etc besides the ones on the property (which seem horribly over-priced and not so great). Alternatively, is the location in Old Bagan for the Therabar gate hotel that great? Can I walk to a number of restaurants? Are there any nearby markets? Stores? Any assessment of the surrounding areas of either of these hotels is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
976 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

we stayed at the Aureum for a couple of nights last November. The hotel is beautiful and overlooks some of the temples. we ate in the restuarant both nights and whilst I don't remember the food as anything other than Ok and most assuredly not expensive for a flash hotel. I can't remember how much it was but less than the tip for a meal in a similar hotel in London (suspect the tip on a similar hotel in LA would cover the accomodation as well).

The hotel is a couple of miles from the town and suspect you could easily get a local car to the town and back. Not sure what you are expecting the the form of entertainment in the town!

When in Bagan, the balloon flight is a must!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

Not really expecting anything in terms of entertainment so much as the chance to walk around a bit. I was sort of getting the feeling that once at the Aureum you're sort of trapped there but your take on it helped a lot in terms of realizing that won't be the case.

As far as the balloon: We were told they don't operate in August so we've sort of given up on that for the most part.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

We stayed at Tharbar Gate in Dec/2011. Nice rooms but restaurant is overpriced. There is a restaurant next door to the hotel that was equal in terms of quality but less expensive. Numerous other restaurants fairly close. Taxis and horse carriages outside the hotel gate. The ballon flight mentioned above is OK if you feel $8/minute in the air is reasonable. To be fair, this does depend on the wind on the day you are going..

4. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 10:35
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

That is truly awful inGrief. I am so sorry to hear of your loss

Suzi

6. Re: Aureum Palace or Therabar Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 10:24