We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

We all know the airborne options to Mandalay but what about the options to travel to Manfalya by riverboat/ferry etc. any thoughts or info sources to share?

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

yes

Bagan-Mandalay by boat

http://www.shwekeinnery.com/index.htm

popular for Bagan River View

thx

Judy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

Sounds interesting, thank you for your suggestion

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

We have just done the ferry Judy has mentioned from Bagan to Mandalay. I have to admit that in over forty years of trekking around the world this has to be one of the most enjoyable things I have ever had the pleasure of doing. The ferry left at dawn and 12 hours later we saw a spectacular sunset over Mandalay. To sit next to the open window with a warm breeze in your face and watching the serene khaki coloured waters of the Irrawaddy flow past will stay with me forever. There were about 12 foreign travellers and a hand full of locals on board. You can eat on board as there is a restaurant available. Just do it....best USD30 you will ever spend. Sit up front on a deckchair and soak it all up. Flying is for the birds...enjoy Myanmar....we sure did....Cheers Sue

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
822 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

The ferry offers a good time to enjoy the river side landscapes and experience the local people life.

Beside the fact that it takes almost a day time to travel from Mandalay to Bagan, it is worth

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

I'm going to give you another point of view. We've taken both modes of transport, the ferry and the flight from Mandalay to Bagan and MUCH preferred the flight. We thought the 14 hour (2 hours late) boat trip was kind of painful and way too time consuming. We arrived in the pitch black of night and had to climb a very steep hill dragging our suitcases and it wasn't fun. We felt we wasted an entire day.

Earlier this year when in Myanmar we had limited time in the country and wanted to make the most of it. We flew to Bagan from Mandalay and it took about 3 hours for the whole thing. Once we got to Bagan we were able to settle in, check out our surroundings and we were completely ready to go the next morning. We had a 1/2 day in Mandalay and the evening in Bagan which was perfect. You can still experience the Irawaddy riverside and beautiful sunsets in Bagan without taking the ferry.

Happy Travels!

katblue

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

It depends how many days you have to spare. WE took the boat from mandalay to bagan and even though it took about 10 hours, it was worth it. The views were phenomenal and often entertaining especially when we pulled into shore and the girls floated out to sell us fruit and thrinketts. the photo opportunities were endless and finally it was wonderful to have some down time. For $45, it was clean and comfortable and theree was a good bar and food available. So really it depends on your time frame.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

Thanks 4 all these valuable informations, anyone4coffee, where did you book the boat and what is the company name? Is it the Ferry boat for USD 45.-?

Which directions is easier to book or has better schedules: Bagan to Mandalay or Mandalay to Bagan?

L.A.
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

Always remember that it is the quality of time spent, not the where, that really matters most. A day on a slow river boat might be agonizing to someone who is concentrating on where they want to be next, yet a sheer joy to someone on the same ride who is living the moment. That is the deepest hazard of itineraries IMHO: they often block us off from the moment at hand in favor of the plan. That being said, I too have had my moments when I just plain want the agonizing part to end. Ah, travel ...

Edited: 11 April 2012, 00:57
Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

Hi Kenisla,

actually I did ask a question regarding post 6 and not your personal opinion about traveling which I have been doing for over 40 years- also as a back-pack

sure, you are right in what you comment.

Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bagan > Mandalay- float or fly?

Hi all,

Any1 done the boat trip recently from Bagan to Mandalay? Care to share as also exploring this option which would love to experience.

Thanks heaps.