We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myanmar

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Myanmar

Hi all,

Looking at heading over in June.Having troubles finding prices for internal flights.Wanting to visit Yangon,Amarapura,Bangan and maybe get out to Ngapali Beach.Have looked into train and thought about hiring a car with a driver but have limited time (8 days).Any suggestions or ideas on internal travel and accomodation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tiz

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Myanmar

You can DIY but at peak season this s not recommended as everywhere will be booked up so the strong recommendation here is to use an Agent for your itinerary.You can also do a mix of booking direct/DIY and Agent but it can be very time consuming. An Agents cost for an itinerary should be less,and certainly no more,than booking direct.

See Top Questions,toolbar right.

There are cruise ships on the Irrawaddy such as RTM,Paukan and Pandaw that go up river but not that far in December due to low water levels-October is the best time to reach Bhamo.

Use the spyglass search feature for threads on Agents.Pandaw etc

SS

Grafton Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Myanmar

Ok thankyou for this information, silverswimmer. Appreciate the time you have taken.

Grafton Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Myanmar

How long would you recommend to stay in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle Lake, Mouilmein and Mrauk U? to see all the sites of each.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Myanmar

Debbie-Why not have a look at the "Top Questions" in the Myanmar forum (you are in the Mandalay forum now) on other visitors itineraries as there is so much advice there?

Your itinerary has lots of criss-crossing as Mrauk U and Moulmein are at either end of the country and require a return to Yangon each time.

Grafton Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Myanmar

Thankyou silverswimmer... still getting to know how to navigate around TA

NZ
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Myanmar

Kyaw at One Stop Travel and Tours. e-mail info@onestop-myanmar.com

website www. onestop-myanmar.com

He handled our hotel and plane bookings and arranged guides and pickup which were seamless.

Would use him again and happy to recommend

Grafton Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Myanmar

Thankyou Henryx2 will research further.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Myanmar

Debbie-

Kyaw at One Stop highly recommended. Max time allowed to visit is 28 days.

I recently posted about my planned itinerary and it was recommended to me-Yangon around 4 nights, Bagan lots of differing opinions there depends on how much of a temple junkie you are-I'm allowing 6 nights there but was told could lose a night, Mandalay consensus was 3/4 nights, Inle Lake 4 nights. Not doing your other 2 destinations but have heard 3/4 nights for Mrauk U just because it takes time to get there. You could spend more or less time on your destinations depending on what you want to see/do. Have fun planning!

http://onestop-myanmar.com

irvine,ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Myanmar

Just returned last night from 2 weeks in Myanmar. Internal flights are fairly easily available (expensive) and MUST be paid in cash. Book on line with Air Mandalay or Air Yangon, pick up your tickets on arrival at the airport and pay cash. Ngapali beach is stunning but I believe the hotels are closing at the end of April for three months (off season)., We stayed at the Amazing Ngapali Resort which was quite magnificent. Stunning, pristine beach, great service and lovely rooms looking out onto the ocean.

A word of warning for Myanmar. It is a CASH ONLY society. Very few places (mostly hotels) accept credit cards at all and then charge up between 5 and 9 % premium for this privilege. You must take ONLY US$ notes with you and make sure of the following:-

1, Take ONLY NEW NOTES WITH YOU. ANY NOTES BEARING EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BLEMISH (i.e. a crease from a fold mark, the slightest ink or pencil marking, the slightest nick or tear in the note will render it valueless and will not be accepted)

2. Make sure that none of the banknotes is from a series which pre-dates 1998...they will be valueless.

3. Make sure that none of the banknotes is one of a series starting wiht the letters CB....they will be valueless.

Unless your notes are perfect they will not be accepted either for exchange by the money changers or by any establishment (including airlines and hotels)

I know that this sounds as though it is overkill, but rather than feel vulnerable as we did, make sure that your notes are perfect!!!!!

Wer hired a driver from Mandaly to Bagan, then to Kalaw and to Inle Lake. His name is Tony and is just great. Although his English is not perfect he is more than clear and his knowledge of all the places and out of the way sights is terriffic. He can be contacted on Mandalaydriver.com and is name is Thun oo (Tony for the Western Ear)

Edited: 14 April 2013, 16:51
Grafton Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Myanmar

Thankyou for all this valuable information. Will look into Kyaw at One Stop-Myanmar and see what they offer.

Also thanks dovIrvine...was aware of the only USD policy but I appreciate the for -warning about the bank notes- we had the same thing happen to us in the Middle-East... two damaged $50AUD and we couldn't exchange them anywhere not in Egypt, Jordan or Turkey. So certainly will take the time to look at what they give us.