We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

Which Bagan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Topic
Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

Is it safe to drive back to Bagan at night, after watching the sunset at Mt. Popa?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

HI,

Yes,It's safe to drive back to Bagan at night.upon my experience,we leave Mt. Popa form 6:oo PM.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

We arrive at NYU airport at 12.35PM. If we go directly to Mt. Popa from the airport, is there enough time to climb to the monastery and back, and then go to the Resort to watch the sunset? Or would it be too rushed?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

What resort? It is 2 hours to get to Mt Popa from Nyaung U.

WAshington, DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

To Blue_Icy and my friend Maneki-neko.. sorry to 'horn in' on your post, but my question is.. On an 11 day trip, should I bother with Mt. Popo? or spend the time in Bagan..

I'll have a driver..

contemplating DRIVING from Inle ... stopping at Mt. Popo for the night..

or FLYING right to Bagan for the extra day of cycling and exploring.

Only 2 1/2 days total in the area. I hear that Mt. Popo is fascinating with a guide who knows to explain about 'care and feeding' of nats

We're experienced SouthEast Asia travelers.. any opinions???

WAshington, DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

To Blue_Icy and my friend Maneki-neko.. sorry to 'horn in' on your post, but my question is.. On an 11 day trip, should I bother with Mt. Popo? or spend the time in Bagan..

I'll have a driver..

contemplating DRIVING from Inle ... stopping at Mt. Popo for the night..

or FLYING right to Bagan for the extra day of cycling and exploring.

Only 2 1/2 days total in the area. I hear that Mt. Popo is fascinating with a guide who knows to explain about 'care and feeding' of nats

We're experienced SouthEast Asia travelers.. any opinions???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

Maneki-neko: the Popa Mountain Resort. Also, where do you get 2 hours from? I've read that it'll take 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic; is that generous?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

#6 That depends on your driver. I would personally opt to get to the resort and head to Mt Popa the next day.

#5 Definitely do a daytrip to Mt Popa. You can hire a driver and also have him to take you to see the very cool teak monastery at Salay before heading to Mt Popa. Add another 3 full days onto your time in Bagan to allow to explore the temples (and shop for lacquerware!).

I found a couple to share the mini-van with me ($60 for the trip!) and we left after breakfast. Spent a couple hours at Salay(VERY unique!) , then headed to Mt Popa. It is a lovely place, and I didn't ever feel the need for a guide. Specatacular views from the top.

Photos in this album if you care to see what Salay &/or Mt Popa looks like

http://Popasalay.notlong.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

We're not staying at the Resort. We want to do a 1/2 day trip and go back to Bagan at night.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

It is very easy to arrange a half-day trip to Mt Popa from Bagan (as directed to poster #5 in my last post).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mt. Popa for Sunset & Driving Back After

#9: My question is the one in post #2, "We arrive at NYU airport at 12.35PM. If we go directly to Mt. Popa from the airport, is there enough time to climb to the monastery and back, and then go to the Resort to watch the sunset? Or would it be too rushed?"