We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinerary doable???

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is this itinerary doable???

So, I have heard so many good things about Myanmar that I figured I should go and see for myself. I live in Hong Kong so it's not a million miles away. I have 7 full days to discover some of the main sights but do not want to spread myself thinly as I can always go back again for longer if needed

I would appreciate any comments/recommendations on my proposed itinerary below

Friday night (late) fly HK to Yangon (stay near airport, is this an option?)

Saturday -take early morning flight to Bagan, hire a driver and explore the city

Wednesday -Leave Bagan and head to Mandalay

Friday fly back to Yangon and have 2 full days exploring the city before flying home late that night

If I wish to visit Mr Popa and Inle Lake, do I need to take a flight or are they reachable by car from the Bagan? What do you think in regards to the amount of time I am spending in each place. Is 4 days in Bagan a good idea?

Thanks for taking the time to read this message and as I said above, any comments would be most welcome

Thanks

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

It is certainly a sensible itinerary but some might say replace Mandalay with Inle Lake (but you cannot do both in 7 days)

In Bagan hire a horse & cart.Mt Popa can be done with a car from Bagan.Inle is a separate trip (u can fly)

The Yangon airport hotels can be a bit grim but there are some 15 minutes away but you would still be leaving them at 5am to catch the early flights which leave just after dawn.

Yangon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

you can rearrange your itinerary as follow.

day1) Arvl in yangon

day2) Ygn/ Bagan

day3)Bagan/mandalay

day4) Mandalay/Inle

day5) Inle

day6)Inle/yangon

day7) dept at late evening

according to this itinerary, you can be all main tourist spots in myanmar. I suggest you. you can stay at Seasons of Yangon Hotels just a few minutes walks on your arrival.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

Silverswimmer...thanks so much for taking time to reply. I have noted your comments. Would you kniw of any reputable agents to work with out there?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

Thanks for your helpful comments San H

Much appreciated.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

You have only 7 days, so you should forget Mandalay may be next time .

Friday overnight Yangon .

Saturday Yangon sight seeing by Taxi .

Overnight bus to Bagan by V I P bus .

Sunday Bagan sight seeing by horse cart .

Monday Bagan to Mt. Popa daytrip by Taxi .

Tuesday Bagan sight seeing by horse cart .

Bagan to Inle Lake by overnight Express bus .

Wednesday Inle Lake sight seeing by boat .

Thursday Inle lake to Pindaya / Taunggyi sight seeing by Taxi .

Taunggyi to Yangon by overnight V I P bus .

Friday halfday tour Yangon & fly back .

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

I'd scrap Mandalay and spend 3 full days in Bagan. It is a fascinating place and you can do Mt Popa as a daytrip one day from there. (Hire a car, yoru hotel can arrane this for you US$60 or so for the entire day) I'd suggest hiring a horsecart for your first day to get your bearings aroung Bagan, then hiring a bicycle and exploring a bit more (you can get off the beaten tourist trail and avoid crowds this way). Head to Popa on day 3.

Good idea to spend your final day or 2 seing the sights of Yangon, there is plenty to see an dyou can do your souvenir shopping(if that is a requirement!) at Bogyoke market.

Travel agent guys above are suggestign waaaay too much for you to do in that short a time, spend more time at each place and really see it, you will be surprised at all there is to do and rushing around in your limited time would be silly...

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

Agents

There are hundreds of decent Agents in Myanmar with about 10 frequently recommended in threads on this forum.

Input "agents" into the search feature for links to them or look through the last few pages of threads,or you can PM me.

SS

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

Hi Win

Thanks for your reply. Had assumed I would fly to Bagan. Do you have any experience of the VIP bus service you mention?

Thanks again

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

Good points...think I will drop Mandalsy as that seems to be the general consensus

Cheers Maneki

bt7
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
41 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this itinerary doable???

A lot depends on your preferred style of travel, i.e., whether you want to charge around and "check the box" that you've been to each place, or whether you'd rather relax and enjoy things a bit.

IMO the priorities in Myanmar are #1 Bagan, #2 Yangon (specifically for Shwedagon Pagoda) and #3 Inle Lake.

I personally love a relaxing stay in Bagan and I always spend at least 2-3 full days there taking a horsecart around the area, enjoying sunsets, etc.

A day or two in Yangon should suffice. Shwedagon Pagoda is amazing and is by far the big highlight.

Inle Lake is great for a day or two. If your budget permits, hire a boat for yourself and focus on spending time checking out the leg-rowing fisherman and maybe visiting with the longneck ladies who are hosted by a shop on the lake. Otherwise there's sort of a standard tour of a half-dozen locations around the lake, though I didn't find that very impressive.