We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse and Cart from New Bagan

Which Bagan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Horse and Cart from New Bagan

I'm spending 3 nights in New Bagan (on the east side) and I'm keen for a half day tour with a horse and cart. How far can I get in a round trip? Myinkaba? Old Bagan? Further?

I'm also keen to see some temples in the central plains (such as Pyathada) and I've read that it can't be reached by taxi. Is this accurate? Would I have any problem catching a taxi to Old Bagan, hiring a horse and cart from there, then getting a taxi back to New Bagan after sunset.

Thanks.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

It's not accurate that you can't reach to any central plains ( such as pyathada ). But somewhere old temples are no road anymore. Most package tour visits with taxi.

If you take a horse cart , it is just you can see more temples in central plains. Still hard to reach to some old temples ( not famous ones ) even you take a horse cart.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
550 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

No joke ,

Hiring horse is 20 USD per hour.

Horse cart together seem around 25 USD per day. You can contact any hotel reception desk at New Bagan or reataurants there.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 10:19
Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

Bagan area is not like Yangon and Mandalay to hire taxi anywhere. It is not easy to get especially in temples and all taxis come for sightseeing with their customers. You better take taxi or horse cart from your hotel.

Horse cart is more easier than taxi to find in any temples in Bagan.

E-bike is , at the moment , very popular among tourists to visit all the places.

Enjoy your stay in Bagan.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

Hi, we hired a horse and cart that was outside our hotel and paid 2000kyat for the whole day, some people say it's not comfortable enough for the whole day but we really enjoyed it and thought it was a good way to see the area and all the main temples.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

I think it should be 20000 kyats for the whole day , not 2000 kyats. 2000 kyats is only for short trip in Bagan.

Cameron Park...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

I'm not sure when you're going, but if it is not too late, I have information for you. I just returned from Bagan last week with my family. We preferred staying in Old Bagan. It is nearer to many temples and more restaurants and more activities.

I would suggest renting an electric bike (E-bike) (they're everywhere in Old Bagan) and cost about US$5/day, 7am - 7pm. Regular bikes are available as well. E-bike covered more grounds, dirt roads, trails, and faster. We love those E-bike. We did Horse Cart as well and it was about US$20-25/day, max 2-3 people. One more thing, please bargain. Mingalabar.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

Thanks for the replies. I've already booked a hotel in New Bagan, with my initial thoughts being that I would just hire a taxi for sight seeing. The E-bikes look great, I might hire one for a morning to visit the Myinkaba temples.

I'm still interested in the horse and cart for a half day tour. My question with this is can I get beyond Myinkaba, to areas around Old Bagan or the central plains in a round trip from New bagan? Is this achievable in half a day. I'm concerned about the time taken by this mode of transport and the ability of the horses to cover this distance without requiring several rests.

Thanks.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

Yes of course it was 20000 for the day, sorry.

9. Re: Horse and Cart from New Bagan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18