We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Which Bagan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
360 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

The tour I have planned for Myanmar in November has us in Bagan for 4 nights. We will be on our own for 1 day and with a guide for 3 days. The tour company is giving me a choice among 6 hotels to stay at, 3 in new Bagan and 3 in old Bagan.

I've read on many hotel reviews on TA that at the hotels in old Bagan there is nowhere to have dinner within walking distance except at your own hotel. I don't want to eat at the hotel every night. I would also like to be able to go shopping or to night markets after dinner.

So which area is better to choose for the hotel location while in Bagan?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

I don't really care for New Bagan, it is where all tour groups stay. Stay in Old Bagan and use a bicycle to go out at night. There are some places that sell delicious grilled foods (and have draft beer) right down the street from the bus station (heading toward Nyaung U Market), just turn right and you'll see it. That's where the locals hang out as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Hi there,

Old Bagan has my vote too. There are plenty of places to eat right at the Tharabar Gate area. Other hotels in Old Bagan on the river are a little distance away from there, so you would need a bike and light to get there.

Plus you can walk around to many of the great temples right outside your hotel - a visit to Ananda temple after dark when it's quiet is well worthwhile. We stayed at the The Hotel @ Tharbar Gate and loved the hotel and location.

Hope this helps,

- K

kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Hi, I agree with the others we stayed in New Bagan but when we return we will definitely stay in Old Bagan as it has more atmosphere.

Cameron Park...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Old Bagan has my pick as well. It much closer to restaurants and shopping. Rent an electric bike or regular bike if you can. Go to Weatherspoon cafe.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Hi ,

Nyaung U area is best. Near by highway station/ airport.

Cheaper accommodation. Main road many good restaurant.

Brussel, België
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Just back and stayed in old bagan. If returning, my pick would be Nyaung U. All temples are easily reachable with electric bikes and indeed accomodations can be very nice at a cheaper rate while there is plenty of choice for foods. Also had my best eat in Myanmar in a local restaurant in Nyaung U (Shwe Moe Restaurant).

Yangon (Rangoon...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

I recommend to stay at Nyaun U if you are free traveller. You can do as your wish and hiring the Bicycle around temple and many restaurant when you walk 1o meter so so so.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
360 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

My tour company gave me a choice of hotels to use and I picked Amazing Bagan Resort. I believe it is in old Bagan How close is it to Nyaug U?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

10 minutes by bicycle.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: should I stay in new Bagan or old Bagan?

Nyaung U is my vote too as it has the most nightlife of the three. Although Old Bagan is the most central and if you rent a bicycle like we did, you can ride to either of the other two towns in 15 or 20 mins at most from there.

We just finished a three week trip to Myanmar last week. If you are interested in reading the full story about the trip, it can be found here: nobleanarchist.com/blog/myanmar-meander/

Thanks, and good luck!