We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Champaign, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Several Bagan websites I've visited say that Bagan does not suffer the extremely wet seasons common in SE Asia. Is that true? I haven't yet found a meteorological chart that lists average rain per month. It looks like the only time I could get to Bagan this year would be in the late August-early September time frame. This would be the monsoon season in many parts of SE Asia and a horrible time to visit, if you want to enjoy outdoor activities. I'm wondering if Bagan would be relatively dry in that time frame. I don't mind a little rain, but the days long rainstorms you see in Thailand, for example, would ruin the trip for me (I'm an avid amateur photographer).

Thanks for any advice.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,981 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Although Bagan is one of the drier parts of Myanmar,it does rain.

This link gives you monthly averages. May through September seem the wettest

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weatherall.php3?s=24084&cityname=Mandalay%2C+Mandalay%2C+Myanmar&units=

SS

Champaign, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Thanks,. I did find that weather site, but wondered if there was any data closer to Bagan. I'm not that familiar with the cities in Myanmar and couldn't find an online map that helped me much.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Hi mraub 1,

The Bagan, Mandalay Region, central Myanmar

is tropical zone . Little rain. May be the rain, suddenly

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

May be the rain, suddenly stop.

You come in that time, late August- early September

Bagan Rainy Season already finish. The weather

is fine.

Hope this help

AMKyaw

uk
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

We were totally grounded by three solid days of torrential rain in Bagan in late september. But on the occasions the sun peeked out there were fabulous clouds, lots of green, and great photos to be taken

Champaign, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

When you travel to far away places to take photos you're always at the mercy of the fickle weather. As long as there is some place where you can get a cold beer, all is not lost even on the worst days.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

Bagan is in Mandalay division that tropical Zone and it is always less rain drops in rainy season.

Rainy Season never destroy your sightseeing in Bagan and Mandalay ( It is only short time for a day even in rainy season ) , and Bagan area is not like lower part of Myanmar and hilly regions.

Enjoy your visit in rainy season.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

It rains in Bagan but not as heavy as in Yangon. You can check here to see when is the best time to visit Myanmar. :)

https://www.visitmm.com/weather-in-myanmar/

Level Contributor
568 posts
1,554 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

I was at Bagan at the beginning of last October. It rained all of the 3 days that I was there but not all day - usually only in the afternoons. I thought it was good as there were definitely fewer tourists and some remote temples had no one at all (at a couple of places, I saw tour buses turning back because of the mud). The sun always came out at times and the views from a temple balcony just after the rain was amazing. If you're fit and intrepid, don't worry about it, just prepare for rain (my umbrella did nothing, just wear light clothes and use ziplock bags for valuables) and be ready to push a bicycle through mud. On one day I rode 30km - mostly on sealed roads or dryish dirt roads, but some of it through mud - but that's only necessary if you want to see the more remote temples. It turned out to be a great adventure. Start early in the morning and relax with beers during the afternoon rains.

10. Re: Does Bagan Have A Rainy Season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20