We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel guides for Bagan ...

England, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Travel guides for Bagan ...

Hey,

Can anybody recommend a book or travel guide for the Bagan area? I have been checking online and the best one I could find is a Lonley Planet guide published in 2009, but I was hoping for something a little more recent. Maybe a guide for Myanmar as a whole which has a section on Bagan and Mandalay.

Kind regards,

David :)

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

When are you travelling? I ask 'cause the next LP book is due out later this year.

SS

England, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

I'm travelling over in June SS so I assume it will be too early for the update!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

yep,I think it is planned for the Autumn,mind you if past experience is anything to go by it will be out of date (and biased) before it is in print.

There are some good maps and trip suggestions on line such as this,which may help-

http://myanmartourism.org/maps/bagan/

SS

England, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

That's great, thanks again SS!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

Check this out: fivedollartraveller.com/product/…

England, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

Hey maryann-ns,

Thank you for the link, I have purchased the e-book, now to get reading .........

:)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

The new Myanmar Lonely Planet guide is due out in August, I have one pre-ordered on Amazon. I am traveling in October.

Wellington
Level Contributor
505 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

I bought Guide to Myanmar - The Temples of Bagan, 2012 by Approach Guides and had it on my iPad while I was looking at the temples, really useful, both in background, and detail on specific temples.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

Will be going end of October and would love to get the guide onto my iPhone. Can you tell me the app or what I can do to get this on the iPhone? Hate traveling with bulky guide books. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel guides for Bagan ...

I was just in Bagan earlier this month and used an excellent guide (and driver) for a day trip to a number of temples and around town. His name is Min Min and he was recommended to me by my brother who visited the area in the spring. Three friends and I hired Min Min after flying to Bagan from Yangon for a day trip. He was excellent, super friendly, and spoke very good English. His knowledge of history, religion, culture and the temples was incredible. Definitely will be using Min Min on my return trip for a longer stay. His contact information is minminbagan@gmail.com cell: 095403703721