We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Began to Mandalay

Which Bagan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Began to Mandalay

I'm on a very tight schedule. I'm also an older woman travelling alone. I wonder if someone with some local knowledge can tell me if this is doable:

Arrive Mandalay Oct 11 and purchase ferry ticket for the next day to Bagan.

On arrival in Bagan purchase bus ticket to return to Mandalay either on 14 or 15th.

I suppose my question is is there any chance transport will be booked out in advance?

I also haven't made a reservation for a second night in Bagan. Are there enough guesthouses to find modest accommodation without prebooking? I'm not picky.

If anything goes wrong can I get a taxi back to Mandalay? How much is it likely to cost?

I'd be grateful for your advice.thanks

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Began to Mandalay

Possible to purchase boat ticket for Oct 12 in your arrival of Oct 11. All the Express boats companies ( Malikha , Shwekeinnery , MGRG ) will be running at that time for daily. Please don't worry for that.

Oct 11 Arrival at Mandalay

Oct 12 Boat to Bagan

Oct 13 Full day sightseeing in Bagan

Oct 14 Mt.Popa & Salay

Oct 15 Return to Mandalay

Oct 16 Fly back to home

Bagan has many guest houses ( especially in Nyaung U ).

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Began to Mandalay

Thank you for your reply and your suggested itinerary. So its not hard to get a bus ticket to return to Mandalay? There are enough tickets available if I buy when I get to Bagan?

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Began to Mandalay

5 Bus Companies are running from Bagan to Mandalay. Don't worry for that. They leave many different times in the day & night.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Began to Mandalay

5 Bus Companies are running from Bagan to Mandalay. Don't worry for that. They leave many different times in the day & night.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Began to Mandalay

Thank you for your help!

6. Re: Began to Mandalay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16