We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety question - Road to Skardu

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Safety question - Road to Skardu

I'm planning to visit Skardu in July and I understand the flights from Islamabad are sometimes cancelled due to weather. I'm not worried about Skaru and surroundings, but I've heard that the route from Islamabad --> Skardu is not recommended for Americans. I'd like the perception on the safety situation from someone who has been recently. Is there any noticeable tension or danger which would make a visit this summer not advisable?

47 replies to this topic
Islamabad
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

July is the one of the best month for clear weather and successful flights for Skardu and Gilgit.

Islamabad Skard is connected by KKH close to Gilgit and then onward to Skardu Road. This road has no safety problem as there are thousands of touriststs and local travel on it day and nights. You should not worry at all to travel to Skadru.

No boday will ask you you are american or non american, You can go there with out any safety issue

Islamabad
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

Can take another route to Chilas via naran Kaghan Road instead of KKH which is very scenic and shorter as well, which will be open in June July onward uptil novermber.

Islamabad
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

People are very friendly and hoppitable and once you are there you will find all your perceptions baseless. There are Americans living in Gilgit Baltistan as well as many Americans visiting Giglit Baltistan time to time. No need to worry at all.

islamabad
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

There re no safety concerns for American on KKH,lot of American and tourists from the rest of the world traveling on KKH all year round.

Even when Talibanization and terrorism was on peak the KKH was free of tension so no worries.

But if you re worried about your safety the the Babusar pass is safer and scenic.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

It not new and the truth is very sorry to say that travel advisories never looked friendly towards Pakistan. on the other hand am not saying that country is 100% safe but someone must have deep look, at least there are some places where one can have life time experience.

I understand your question is concerned along the KKH as major part of the road you have to go through Haraza division/kohistan region, formally called it NWFP. Well & good if you can fly from Islamabad to skardu, in case not than why not going through Babusar pass, this is shortest and more safe road one can enter in to Gilgit-Baltistan. This year, I went many times through the said road and of course the scenarios are more charming compare to other road that usually people taking drive on it.

I am sure, you will have an idea that why today and since many times all foreigners are like to visit Gilgit-Baltistan, because of strong hospitable people, free of hassles, 100% safe & security. Go for it with out any hesitation, for sure you will back to home with different perceptions.

A friend of mine from USA also have to visit around same period of yours, may be we can meet somewhere on the road.

Happy Travel!

HT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

Thanks for the feedback guys!

islamabad
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

Enjoy your trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

Not to change the subject too much, but how is safety for Americans in the Sialkot area? I have an opportunity to travel there in business in the next few months, invited by local business owners. They have advised me not to stay in hotels and only stay in their homes and to remain "low key". I am worried about travel there due to all the media reports about anti-American sentiments in Pakistan. Since there are Pakistani residents responding on here, please advise your thoughts. My understanding and experience is the media overblows this sort of thing and that most people are friendly and welcoming in Pakistan. On the other hand all it takes is one experience to change your life forever.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

Welcome to Sialkot of Pakistan,

I viewed your post and seem you will try to get business visa from Pakistan embassy in your country.To be honest, some policies changed for American Nationals and will need of heavy supporting documents along with your visa application. The documents will likely be invitation letter from any local tour company or the company with whom you dealing business on the ground, total night to stay in Pakistan and air-ticket.

For staying purposes, very frankly there are some local hotels but below the standard of international travellers and will suggest you to stay in Lahore which is no far and can go in the morning and evening returning back to hotel in Lahore.

For home stay, i think you have to prove all documents of the local person for your security reasons that where you will be, but sincere advises don't mentioned about anything like this, simply use any hotel in lahore or organize your trip with local authorized tour company, this is; the way conducting business meeting by other businessman.

HT

Edited: 22 January 2012, 06:09
London
Level Contributor
115 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety question - Road to Skardu

hi Travelling as an american is fine, and not an issue. There are direct buses from Pir Wadhai bus station near Rawalipindi/Islamabad to Gilgit, usually leaving at about 5pm onwards, and taking about 14 hours. There are no buses direect to Skardu any more, so its easier to get the bus to Gilgit, spend a day or two there, and then go from gilgit to Skardu. I have done that trip a few times, but I have friends in Gilgit, so I go with them in a jeep from Gilgit to Skardo rather than by public transport. If you want their number/email let me know.

Reply to: Safety question - Road to Skardu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted