We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

6 posts
Save Topic
What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Hi All,

I would like to get your advice, were planning to bring our Car land trip from Cebu City going to Cagayan de Oro this Christmas. Our route will be:

1. Cebu City >> Samboan >> Dapitan >> Cagayan De Oro

2. Cebu City >> Santander >> Dumaguete >> Dapitan >> Cagayan De Oro

I have no worries traveling Cebu to Dapitan, I am worried more about traveling Dapitan to Cagayan de Oro.

I would like to ask your recommendation for the best and safest route (nice road as well) going to Cagayan De Oro from Dapitan.

Appreciate any response that would help us decide. Thank you in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

There's only 1 main highway from Dapitan to CDO via Ozamis and Iligan and as long as you will travel during the day I don't see any concern regarding safety.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Are you specifically looking for a road trip?

I personally would just put the car on the Trans Asia boat from, I think, pier 5 in Cebu City direct to CDO. The boat departs every second day.

http://www.transasiashipping.com/schedules/

If you want a safe route to drive, my suggestion would be Cokaliong from pier 1 in Cebu City to Surigao City then drive along the coast to CDO. You will pass Balingoan travelling that route. Which means you can put your car on the next RORO from Balingoan to Camiguin Island and spend a few days relaxing on Camiguin where you will find hot springs, cold springs, waterfalls, a sunken cemetery, volcano trekking and a huge white sand bar called white island.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Thanks kegler

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Thanks big jim. Our plan for return trip is the other route maybe from cagayan to gingoog to cebu. Want to experience both route. Also to break-in the car. I saw some option from dapitan to osamis port barge going to mukas terminal and from there going to iligan to cagayan. But the review for osamis port going to mukas is not soo good thats why im hesitant. Im looking if there are option to just land travel dapitan to cagayan.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

But the review for osamis port going to mukas is not soo good thats why im hesitant

------------------------------

I have been on that boat, but years ago. From memory, there were several boats operating that route. Here is a pic of the boat we went on. that is me on the left walking onto the boat.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/images/tran…

It's purpose is cut off a large part of Illigan bay instead of driving all the way around it. It is not meant to be a pleasure cruise. The only thing i would care about is that the car is stowed safely on the RORO. And I am pretty sure they know how to do that.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Hi Big Jim,

Do you know how many trip they are catering for a day? Like everyhour or just once a day?

Per research they are just operating once a day @7PM only but per you picture is not night so I presume they are also have trip during morning or afternoon perhaps?

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

Hi Kegler,

How about the other route instead, from daptian to dipolog and travel straight to Joselina --> Molave --> Aurora --> Iligan.

Is that advisable route as well?

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

In additon big jim, have you tried also the other route, from dapitan to dipolog going to Joselna --> molave --> aurora to iligan? I'm just basing in google map.

Thanks in advance.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or

n additon big jim, have you tried also the other route, from dapitan to dipolog going to Joselna --> molave --> aurora to iligan? I'm just basing in google map.

---------------------------------

Sorry never been to Dapitan or Dipolog.

Yes the RORO was multiple times per day.

I tried searching for current info on the schedule and found no schedule but here is a company that operates the RORO. You could ask them

https:/…

Reply to: What is the best and safest route from Cebu to Cagayan de Or
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cagayan de Oro