We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Santos

Which General Santos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
General Santos

I have travelled many times to Philippines, but never alone. Will it be safe for me to go to General Santos alone? How can I get from Manilla to Gen San by ferry?

bristol rabbit
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: General Santos

hi there have a look at the super ferry site all the info is there.i have not been on one but seen them parked up ,they look fine ,i have stayed in santos city for a total of 8 weeks over the last 2 years with my g.f.i found it a very safe ,happy but poor place.john

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Santos

Hi,

I am just not a huge advocate of inter-island ocean travel in the Philippines... To be fair, there are several reputable companies and some utilize modern equipment.

However sadly, the country boasts a string of catastrophic ocean vessel accidents resulting in hundered of deaths... Notable incidents include the 1987 MV Dona Paz collision with an oil tanker; 4300+/- fatalities, the Super Ferry 14 bombing by Abu Sayyaf killing 116 and sinking of the MV Princess of Stars in June 2008, sailing during the height of Typhoon Fengshen; loss of 750+/- people.

Many of these incidents are linked, in part to faulty/poorly maintained equipment, poor sailing decisions, vessel overload, environmental factors and such forth. I have my personal doubts about the maintaince integrity and overall governmental regulation and oversight of this industry.

I'ved travelled by ocean carrier within the Philippines before, and for large parts of the country this is the only viable means of inter-island travel. That said, for me personally, I would prefer air travel over ocean travel where available.

NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General Santos

The ferry should be a fine way to travel to GenSan. Ive made the trip (and segments of it) several times. Its a much better way to meet people than air travel. Most boats take almost two days from manila to dadiangas, with stops in iloilo or zamboanga.

Can't disagree with the comment on safety records, but the disasters are a relatively small part of the total miles traveled.

GenSan itself is as safe as any other small city in the RP.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Santos

Hi,

While I do acknowledge that the incidents are rare-- whenh you consider the sheer number of daily sailings within the countries waters..

My point is that I have some personal reservations about several the vessel operators and their commitment to safety and the governmental oversight of this transportation mode. However, for a large part of the country this is the only practical and economical means of inter-island transport..

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: General Santos

Hi,

It's more convenient to travel to General Santos by plane.There are daily flights from Manila. It only takes about 2 hrs.But I would advise you to go to General Santos with someone if you're going there for the first time.

Good luck!

A former resident of General Santos

6. Re: General Santos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 05:16