We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed!

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
AJE
London UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed!

I intend to go on holiday to the Dominican Republic with my girlfriend (both early 30s) in Aug 2005. We cannot decide whether to stay in Cabarete or Puerto Plato? Any advice as the the merits of each?

We want a nice beach and preferably access to excursions. Would love to see how the locals live etc. Also, how does the water temperature compare on the north side of the island compared to the south?

Any advice appreciated!!

East of England
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed!

Hi, i went to cabarete for three weeks on 18th april 2005 and i liked it so much there i returned on june 1st for another 11 nights.

Cabarete is just busting with some of the most charming people i have ever met, the water is lovely and warm although it is not as beautiful and clear as the caribbean sea. The beach stretches for miles and is pure golden sand.

The nightlife is good but do leave all valuables in your hotel as petty theft is quite high out there!

My advice on seeing how the locals live is make friends with the dominicans that work on the beach and they will quite happily take you home to meet there families, this way you can save the cost of a tour operater and afford to give the locals a little something and they will make you very welcome.

We made so many friends whilst out there we are already planning on returning in the near future

Dont book any excursions through the hotel, shop around on the street and on the beach and you will get the same trip for half the price - and always haggle, dominicans always charge more than they are willing to except!

Cant help you on puerto plata as the only time i was there was to arrive and depart.

Wherever you choose you will be certain of a good holiday, if you need any more help my email is ferndalefamily@hotmail.com

Happyholidays.