We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cabarete tacky?

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Is Cabarete tacky?

Heard rumours that Cabarete is a very touisty/can be tacky- is this true??

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

Cabarete is a very active sports minded town. With lots of activities. It is a wind sufing and kite surfing mecca.

Lots of restaurants, bars, shops etc. A fun place that is active day and night. NOT TACKY.

BObK

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

All as Bob said. It is a very touristy town, that can't be denied, it's why it exists. Some great restaurants, in particular on the beach. A few of them would be considered of a high standard if they were in the UK (Miro's for sushi or Thai in particular).

As for "tacky", it depends what you mean? For me, Blackpool and Margate are 'tacky'. When I went to Thailand, Pa Tong is horribly 'tacky', all neon lights and tourist food.

But for me, Cabarete is more 'cool' than 'tacky'.

canada
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

Regarding Sushi , rather go to Yamagato's at the Ocean Dream Place. Much better than Miro's.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

I keep seeing that place but haven't heard anyone comment upon it (until now!) Too many places to eat, too few days to get them all fitted in!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
855 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

As Keith replied if you've been to Blackpool then you'll know whats tacky and Cabarete is nowhere near like Blackpool (sorry anyone from Blackpool)....

sam

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

We eat at Yamagato's all the time. It is excellent and always fresh.

BObK

louisiana
Level Contributor
757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

Cabarete is not what I would call tacky...it is not a posh place where you stroll down the sidewalks window shopping either.I think it is very layed back,where you can be completely alone or make a friend in 5 minutes....it's up to you.There are many good places to eat and sit back and have a drink.

Bristol
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

Thanks for these replies. We are trying to decide between Barbados and Cabarete. Cabarete is about £200 cheaper and all inclusive but heard Barbados beaches are a lot nicer .....

Have heard that many people have been mugged in Cabarete???

Is this true??

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

"Have heard that many people have been mugged in Cabarete???

Is this true??"

I'm sure "some people" have been mugged but it certainly isn't a dangerous place. My wife has stayed there on her own. She would go out on her own in the evening, eat in a restaurant on the beach and walk home at night on her own. Not only did she feel safe but as importantly, being thousands of miles away, I was confident that she would be safe.

If you go out dripping in gold or you 'flash the cash' before walking home rolling drunk, you are likely to get mugged. More to the point, if you get drunk then spend time talking to prostitutes, you are VERY likely to get mugged... and that's just in Bristol!

Fort McMurray
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cabarete tacky?

I totaly agree with you (iom keith) Cabarete is very cool and very safe as long as you don't act like a stupid drunken tourist flashing money. My husband and I have been six times, and I feel very comfortable walking around on my own.

I know one person who was mugged, why?

Because 1. he was really drunk, and alone

2. he stopped to talk to a prostitute who apprached him

3. he insisted on wearing a large gold chain

4. he insisted in carrying large amounts of cash in his bulging wallet in his back pocket

He wasn't harmed in any way except his pride, before he knew what was happening his chain was gone, and his wallet was emptied of all cash and replaced, and a motorcycle sped away.

Morale of storey, be aware, not afraid!

By the way he will be coming back to Cabarete this year with us.