We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth getting a private airport transfer

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
is it worth getting a private airport transfer

I booked at the viva wyndham tangerine

I am using a company called turinter tours for my airport transfer

general transfer was $34

private transfer was $89

if we go to cabarete it wouldnt be bad but if we are stopping at hotels in sosua and puerto plata

then maybe the $50 difference in price might we worth it to shorten the ride

has anyone used them before

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

Are those prices per person or total and one way or return?

A private taxi should be no more than about $35US - $40US one way for up to four passengers using airport taxis which are available 24/7 and are safe.

Gregg

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

round trip for 1 person

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

If you're arriving at POP, you shouldn't pay any more than US$35 per cab (not per person), which is the current posted rate (you'll see a large sign with the rates right in front of the exit, as you come out of customs). I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if we go to cabarete it wouldnt be bad but if we are stopping at hotels in sosua and puerto plata". You may want to explain a bit more your stops. You're coming to the Tangerine in Cabarete. Sosua is on the way from the airport, but Puerto Plata is in the opposite direction.

Silvia

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

I didnt know that sosua and puerto plata were in opposite directions

I understand that there will be other drop offs

its the amount of drop offs that make me question if it would be worth it to get the private shuttle

to shorten the process

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

Elvis,

If you want to save money, then US$39 for a round-trip transfer to POP sounds very good, yet you'll have to be patient with the stops.

However, to make it faster, you're better off taking a cab at the airport. They are very safe and there's a ton of them always waiting. It'll cost you US$35 one way. You'll see the taxi stand right at the exit of customs. At the end of your vacation, you ask the receptionist at Viva to call a cab for you and you'll pay another US$35. You'll save US$19 and you'll be at the hotel in 20 minutes, with no stops. That's what I would do.

Silvia

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,448 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

The $39 dollar fee is only a good deal if it is only one of you traveling. If not (and up to 4 people) then take a cab from the ariport ($35 each way).

Advantage:

NO stops before you hotel

Much faster

Less $$ for 2 or more.

BObK

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

The ride to the Tangerine from the airport is about 30 minutes at the most. And you might stop at one or two resorts before your get to yours. General transfer should be good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

If there are two or more in your party, it's a breeze to just grab a cab for 35 bucks for the taxi,(not per person). You can't miss the little kiosk as you exit with your luggage. 20 minutes, non- stop.

9. Re: is it worth getting a private airport transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete