We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Orting, Washington
Level Contributor
257 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Hello all and thank you for all your post. My husband and I are planning our first trip to DR and made a bit of a mistake when we booked our flight and hotel. Flying into SDQ staying at Velero beach resort. What is the best way to get to the resort and how long is the drive? My poor husband is feeling sad, he thought he read it was only 20 minutes from the airport, probably, but not ours. I want to cheer him up and let him know all will be fine and it's just another adventure. Thanks in advance.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,798 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Hi there,

It's about 3.5 hours by car. A cab will cost you $200 each way. However, it's less than half if you come by bus. Buses are very nice and comfortable. You'll need to take a cab from SDQ to Caribe Tours or Metro. I'm afraid I can't remember how much I paid last time I did this route, but it was around $35. The bus fare is around $10 p/p. Either bus line will leave you in Sosua. The cab from Sosua to Velero costs $15. The bus ride takes about 4-5 hours depending on the time of the day (rush hour is pretty bad getting out of Santo Domingo). I prefer Metro because it makes only two stops (Santiago and Puerto Plata) whereas Caribe Tours stops in other smaller towns, but Caribe Tours has more frequent service than Metro. If you decide to take the bus, make sure you bring a sweater with you. It's freezing cold on the bus (Caribe Tours worse than Metro).

You may want to call your airline to ask how much they'll charge you to change airports to POP (25 minutes away). The cab ride from Puerto Plata to Cabarete is $35.

I hope this helps (although I am afraid none of the above is going to help cheer up your husband).

Silvia

Orting, Washington
Level Contributor
257 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Thank you so much, I was afraid of that. I will give the airline a call and see what we can do. Thank you so much. We can't wait to visit.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Try your best to change airports as Silvia advised. You can cheer your husband up though by telling him that Velero Resort is lovely - it has the best views of the whole bay and both rooms and communal areas are very nicely planned and looked after.

Orting, Washington
Level Contributor
257 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Thanks, that is why he picked it. It is just what we are looking for. Our big issue is that we are currently living in Costa Rica and are flying in on Taca and i don't think they fly to the other airports but am making the call this monring. If not looks like we will be bussing it and that can be fun also. No matter what i will take this problem over most others you can never get too upset when planning a vacation and things just go exactaly as planned. I'm happy to deal with this.

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Hi There

Would internal flights not be an option??

Sparky

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Not really Sparky...

Charter only - muy caro.

Gregg

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

Hmmmm, depends on how deep your pockets are.

These are the telephone numbers I could find this morning if you want to explore this option;

Helidosa Helicopters.

1-809-688-0744

mobiles; 1-809-756-7771, 1-809-257-5200, 1-809-710-1988.

www.helidosa.com (website been under construction forever it would appear)

AERODOMCA small charter airline

Reservations (24 hr):

(809) 826-4141, (809) 826-4242 (809) 826-4343. Fax: (809) 826-4065.

E-mail: sales@aerodomca.com

http://www.aerodomca.com/English/english.html

Gregg, (D.R. expert) probably knows more info on these and others.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

ha, LOL - there's the answer then

Orting, Washington
Level Contributor
257 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

You are all great. No Taca does not fly to POP, :( checked AA was going to cancel Taca flight but they have these overnighter flights into Miami. don't think the hubby will be happy sleeping in the airport. Looks like I will have to dig deep into the pockets and see what else we can do. Oh my.

Orting, Washington
Level Contributor
257 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking boo boo, in need of assistance Please :)

My goodness, those are some deep deep pockets, looks like we will be busing it. Thanks for all your help.

Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations