We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some tips please

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Widnes, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Some tips please

Me and the hubby will be making our first trip to Dom Rep next Wednesday and admit to being a bit worried due to some of the things I've read on various websites. We're staying at the Wyndham Tangerine and have heard mention of the foul smelling swamp, petrol smells from the Esso garage, not to go into Cabarete as locals mob you messing with your hair and charging for it.. My stomach has not stopped churning since I booked it. Also, what about tips to the room maid and waiters etc, how many pesos is fair and how often, I'd hate to upset anyone. Any advice about arrival/departure at the airport. Jeez I didn't realise I was such a worry wart. The girls at work have howled laughing at some of the things I'm fretting about. I'm sure we'll have a brill time, but I feel a bit like a fish out of water.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Some tips please

MrsMooooo- don't worry, i can't answer about the Esso station, but you will not get mobbed by locals. will they try to sell you something yes they will. Tipping tip as u see fit good service u tip, no differnet then at home. You will have a great holiday.

Toronto
Level Contributor
587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some tips please

Hey MrsMoo,

We stayed in a room right next to the "swamp" (more of a creek if you ask me) and we don't know what people are complaining about, honestly. Sure, maybe if you climb the fence and dunk your head in the water, but otherwise I would not think about it for another second. Like I said, we stayed as close as you could and you can't smell a thing.

There is indeed a gas station across the street and we actually hung out with some locals. Anywhere along the main road you will smell some petrol coming from vehicles as I don't think they have the same environmental standards as we do. You cannot smell petrol from the hotel and/or beach. Trust me.

Check out my review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g317144-d291…

I really liked it there. Also, made some good friends from England who we hung out with most of the week and they liked it as well.

Honestly, stop worrying. It is a great hotel.

RR

Widnes, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some tips please

Thanks for the replies lads, makes me feel loads better. I've been talking to a couple of people also who have been and it sounds like we're in for the holiday of a lifetime. Deffo looking forward to the beach discos. Starting to chill now and really looking forward to it. Take care. x Mrs M.

Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some tips please

Dear Mrs. Moo....

I agree with the others, you worry is needless.

The Viva Tangerine is an excellent resort. The gas station across the street is a fantastic place to mingle with the locals. The beach of the hotel is gorgeous.

Cabarete locals are great, the vendors will ask you about braiding hair, buying cigars, jewerly etc. but I find if you just say "No Gracias" and do not engage with them they will leave you alone in peace to enjoy your holiday.

For sure stop in and visit me and the team at the kiteboarding school, we love to give free advice about where to go, what to see etc...

Have fun preparing for your holiday, it will be one of the best of your life!

Kind regards from Cabarete,

Laurel

Widnes, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some tips please

Thanks Laurel, will call and see you... advice on whats best to see and do will be much appreciated. Presume the weather is fantastico, can't wait to catch some rays!

Regards, Mrs Moo. x

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some tips please

People will try and sell you stuff anywhere you go in the world. Not any different here. Great opportunity for a bargain.

Let me recommend the guys that sell the mama jauna and no it's not marijauna which I thought it was until I actually looked at it and tried it.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Some tips please

Hi Mrs Moo, We ( husband , myself and 11year old ) went to the DR for the 1st time in August this year, we too did not know what to expect. Like you had read lots of reviews - good and bad. We decided to go with an open mind and have a good holiday. We had a ball, loved Cabarete and everything about it, the hotel , the beach and best of all the people. We came home reluctantly , within 2 weeks we had re booked for August 2006. We stayed at the Tropical Casa Laguna in Cabarete , go and enjoy - wish we were going now and not having to wait. Best thing to do is believe a little bit of everything that you read. go on some of the trips available - they are brilliant. Also take pens/paper/ sweets for the children on the safari trips , the staff at the hotels like toiletries , make up etc for the ladies. We also left clothes/ trainers- basically anything for the animation staff at our hotel - as did most of the residents, they work really hard for little pay.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Some tips please

Hi Mrs Moo - again - my review if you wish to read it :

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g317144-d254…

cheers, Gerrard4

Widnes, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some tips please

Hi G.4, I think you're right, about going with an open mind, We're easily pleased, so I expect we'll have a great time, and like yourself will want to book to go straight back. We've already decided to go on one of the safari trips (prob monster truck one) and have already bought some coloured pencils, books and sweets. Thanks for the idea of taking toiletries/make up for the maids. Last day in work tomoz, then I'll be packing into the early hours...(always last minute). Will post a message when we get back... Cheers.

Mrs Moo..

yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Some tips please

Hi Mrs Moo - we did the moster safari trip - dont book with the reps tho - too expensive - we booked with Hurra Travel in Cabarete - on the main street, on the left going away from Sosua direction. We found them really good, spoke good english and the trips were fine. anything else before you go , please ask, judithnaylor@blueyonder.co.uk, hope you have a grat holiday - I am sure you wil.

l