We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping (new issue i promise)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Tipping (new issue i promise)

i am currently in Cabarete and just got back from dinner. i thought i had figured out everything there was to know about Cabarete from this forum but i was stumped at dinner tonight. i know the exchange rate is about 36:1USD here and got that rate at Janet's this morning but i went to dinner and had a bill that was somewhere around 650 pesos and then the service charge added to that brought it to 715. i left $20 USD and 100 DR pesos (~820 pesos) going off the idea that im tipping around 20% of the bill like i do in the states but when i checked the bill after i got back to the hotel it said at the bottom "you pay...23.xx USD"

if i were to go off the horrible exchange rate at the bottom of the bill, it looks like i didnt tip at all but if you go off the actual exchange rate, i tipped 20%. should i feel guilty for "not tipping" or should i feel like an informed TR member that didnt overpay yet left a good tip?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,402 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

More likely than not, the restaurant has kept the $20 and your 100 bill and your waiter got nothing. But you can't feel guilty for that. You had good intentions before her/his boss ripped you off with the exchange rate.

The exchange rate is actually closer to RD$37 (RD$36.85 at Caribe Express to be exact). According to your numbers, it looks like you were given a exchange rate closer to RD$28.5, quite a rip off. Learn your lesson. Most shops will give you a terribly low rate; exchange at Janet's or Wally's (in the center of town) and pay with pesos.

I hope you are having a good time in our little town!

Cheers,

Silvia

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

thanks for the reply!

i'll be stopping by janet's today for some water, i'll make sure to change a few pesos!

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

you'll get 36.85 at Wally's in the centre of Cabarete. Definately paying in pesos is far better than in any other currency.

wallycabarete.com/html/wally_cambio_en.php

PS I've no sympathy for you being ripped off...

...because you're in Cabarete right now and I'm not! :-(

;-)

Edited: 24 August 2010, 17:23
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,457 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

You must have eaten at Jose O'shay's which is one of the worst places for prices and exchange rates on the beach.

If you are going to be eating out exchange some $$ into Pesos (Caribe tours on the west of town has the best rate) and pay for you dinner in pesos.

BObK

cabarete
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

Always ask first what is the exchange rate if you plan on using USD. If they tell you 28 you have an option. Leave or demand that they give you 35 which is more fair and common. In some cases they want your business enough to agree to the 35%. Also ask before you use a Visa what they will charge. The usual is 5%. At LAX the last time I checked they charge you 20% for using Visa. Also some restaurants like Nikki's and Jose O'Shea's do not include the 26% legal and sales tax. So you get another surprise when you get your bill if you didi not read the fine print at the bottom of the menu. I keep telling the managers to include in right up front in the price and the clients will be happier with no 26% surprise. Enjoy the weather and the beach!

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

O'Shay's 'menu price' is very similar to other bars too, which makes it harder to spot that the 26% is going on later, making it 20+% more expensive than anywhere else on the beach. They do have 'happy hours' and it can be a cracking night out but not somewhere I'd recommend more than once a trip.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

thanks for all the replies!

the next morning i did as instructed and went to Janet's and exchanged some money at a decent rate and have paid for everything else in Pesos, MUCH easier that way.

as for the offending restaurant, it was not O' Shea's as i knew from this board that it was famous for this kind of thing, it was Casanova right down the way.

8. Re: Tipping (new issue i promise)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete