We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peso ex rate??

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton sussex,uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
peso ex rate??

Hi all the peso rate here is 51.27 to the £ , could you tell me rate in cabarete plsssssss we are staying at the viva wyndham tangerine:-) only 2 weeks left till we are back

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: peso ex rate??

V W T is a good spot.

wallycabarete.com/html/wally_cambio_en.php

Changing at the Caribe Express down the street gets a slightly better rate. Don't change at home, change here in the DR. Bring $30 US to enter/exit the DR also per person.

Brighton sussex,uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peso ex rate??

WOW that's loads better then here , thx very much

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peso ex rate??

The actual rate at Caribe Tours accoss the street from your hotel will be slightly better then Wallys but not by much.

Also if you are going into Caribe do NOT wear sunglasses.

BObK

Brighton sussex,uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peso ex rate??

Thank you Bobk.. ? why no sunglasses

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peso ex rate??

There is a security camera (as in most banks) so they want your face on record. The no sunglasses also goes for banks as well.

BObK

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peso ex rate??

Clarification - you can wear sunglasses to the place, just don't be surprised when the guard outside asks you to take them off. You should also bring your passport to convert the money. I was able to do it with just my drivers licence, but there were people staying with us, who got sent away to get their passports for coverting.

Brighton sussex,uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peso ex rate??

Is it safe to use the atm ? and is it dollars or peso , might need extra money coss im going to spend alot there lol

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,258 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: peso ex rate??

Gazza11,

It's safe to use an ATM, but let your bank know that you're planning to use it here. Otherwise, you may get your withdrawal privileges suspended until you contact them -- a measure most banks take to prevent fraud.

ATMs only dispense pesos. Depending on your bank, you may have to pay a fee as well as the foreign exchange fee that check cards connected with VISA charge. At least this happens with US ATM cards.

I use ATMs attached to banks only, and those that let me swipe my card. I also make sure that I cover with my right hand the keypad while I type my pin. I do this here as well as in the US as my card number and pin got once stolen in a convenience store in the US.

Silvia

Brighton sussex,uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: peso ex rate??

many thanks Silvia i will chat to my bank first. is the atm in english or spanish thx gary

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: peso ex rate??

Most of the banks offer you the choice of English or Spanish. The exception to this is/was the Bank of Santa Cruz (sp?) which is by Ocean Dream. It will take your pin number and offer you an amount to withdraw, then whirr as if counting money, before giving you your card back... but no money! It's okay, it doesn't debit cash but it's a bit worrying, so don't go there!

I had huge problems with Lloyds TSB locking my account TWICE despite them being told beforehand that I was traveling. I used to be with HSBC and used a debit card from them many times without a problem. My wife is with Barclays and again, has never had a problem.