We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Hello,

We are visiting Cabarete in the second week of September and would like to try wind and kite surfing. We would like to rent equipment for either 5 or 6 days and want to be able to switch equipments depending on our mood (instead of renting each day, which just becomes too expensive). Does anyone know of a place that would let us do this? We would also need lessons.

We are staying in Caberete Palm Beach Condos, and from what I see the restaurants are very close. Which are the best restaurants to eat from? Specially grilled/bbq food. We are a bunch of guys (4, maybe 5), so street food does not scare us (up to certain point of course).

Thanks!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,909 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

For kite and windsurfing rental, try Club Mistral.

www.club-mistral.com/en/destinations/team/5

However, if you need to take lessons, then you don't need to rent equipement. Kitesurfing lessons would take most of your five days anyway.

You're close to all the beach restaurants, but for grilled/barbecue food try ghe restaurant behind Papi's seafood ?on the street side). I think it is called D'Angelo. Not much street food here. Generally speaking, do be scared of street food. It is not just the way it is prepared and lack of hygiene, but that uncooked food is not kept in a cooler when there is way over 90 degrees outside.

Silvia

Edited: 13 August 2012, 08:08
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Check out LEK kite boarding http://www.laureleastman.com for rental and lessons. ON the beach next to Milinium (next door to Ocean Dream).

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,909 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Does LEK also rent windsurfing equipment? I thought Laurel does Kiteboarding only.

Mistral rents both kiteboarding and windsurfing equipment. Now that I think of it, Vela does too since they have an agreement with Dare2Fly.

Silvia

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,909 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Sorry I forgot the link to Vela Cabarete. Here it goes:

http://www.velacabarete.com

Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Hi everyone!

Ryan81 you are going to have a lot of fun it sounds like on your Cabarete holiday - taking advantage of the great sports and you are staying in a lovely property right in the heart of the action.

Just to clarify, LEK offers kiteboarding (and body boarding, SUP, and kayaking) but not windsurfing. It's not our expertise so we choose to focus on the kiting, which we know we can do really well.

Mistral does both, but their kiting area is not right at their location, it's down closer to LEK, so you can't just hop in and out of the water switching between windsurfing and kitesurfing gear too easily.

My favorite recommendation for groups like yours is to come down, walk up and down the beach, check out the different kite/windsurf schools, get more info about their programs from their people in person and then choose which place/activities you are going to participate in.

Also I HIGHLY recommend the BBQ on Saturday night at Tropicoco. That is just next to Millennium Resort and it is really delicious.

Other restaurants I love and recommend:

On the beach: Pomodoro, Mojito Bar, Onno's and Eze Bar

Near Millennium/LEK: Susi Yamazato, Gorditos, Aqua, Concho Loco and BayersherHof.

Hope that info is helpful!

ENJOY!

Laurel

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

We decided to keep it simple and just concentrate on windsurfing. Kite boarding looks pretty intimidating! Perhaps we might try a kite boarding lesson one day out of the week.

Laurel, we decided to take your advice and just walk up and down the beach for the windsurfing programs. Would be good find something that would fit what we need an see how they operate.

Thanks for all the restaurant suggestions, I think we will end up trying all of them. Except Yamazato, we like our seafood cooked!

I was looking up restaurants and someone mentioned Casa Mami and BBQ on Thursdays at Aloha Surf Cafe. Can anyone comment on these?

We are pretty psyched, one more week!

Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Hi again Ryan,

Sounds like your plan is coming together and it's gearing up to be an awesome vacation. You are going to have a blast!

Casa Mami - very delicious Dominican food and easy to find as it's just downwind (West) of the Police Station. From your hotel head to the main road and turn left, go through town and it's just outside of town. Highly recommend.

Aloha is also a MUST. Thursdays is very popular so get there early or even make a reservation. From your hotel head to the beach and turn right, walk past the under construction development then the first condo building and turn left off the beach onto the walking path. Aloha is pretty much right there.

If you like BBQ also consider Tropicoco on Saturday - REALLY good.

Yamazato has great BBQ chicken and beef teriyaki, for those who don't love Sushi there is a good option still.

HAVE FUN!

:)

Laurel

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Wow! What an amazing place, I can now see why a lot of people go and never leave. All of us are already planning on when we can comeback. We ended up getting Windsurfing lessons and rentals from Cabarete Windsports Club. Windsurfing is way harder than it looks and quite exhausting! Took a few days to get use to, but once up, so much fun.

Watching the Kites fly in the afternoon looked awesome, definitely want to try it next time.

Best food we had was easily the pork chops at aloha, probably one of the best I've ever had.

The negatives....

1) Sellers. After reading people mention them, I initially thought "it can't be bad". Well, it was that bad.

2) The workers at night, depends on how you look at it I guess, but way too aggressive. Can't move a few feet before being swarmed by one after another. The worst are the ones that get mad if you tell them you are not interested.

Overall, one of the best vacations we had. We usually like to visit a different island each time we go somewhere, but, this place deserves an annual trip. Next time though, we will try to get there during high season.

Thanks everyone!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Glad you had a great time.

I was one of those who basically came and stayed.

BObK

New York City
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wind/Kite surfing rentals and places to eat???

Can you give me a review of palm beach condos? We are four friends staying in unit #205, two bedroom unit in a couple of weeks. Also, the tropicoco BBQ sounds good, did you make it there?