We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

What is your opinion of walking from the restaurants /Janet supermarket to Kite Beach at night? We are thinking of renting down there, but will want to walk back from downtown at night. Any thoughts?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,660 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

My opinion is not to walk on the beach after sunset. There is two very dark stretches on the beach that in my view, you're exposing yourself too much. Even during daytime, this is a long walk on the beach. I would estimate about a 25-30 minute walk.

Walking on the road is not an option. It's ways to dangerous as there are no sidewalks.

Play it safe and take a cab. It'll cost you around $6-7 one way.

Silvia

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

if you're talking about walking back via the beach, personally I wouldn't do it, but walking back by the street is no problemo. There's always a lot of people, cars etc on the street, but on the beach, don't risk it.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

I would like to add to an earlier post by myself : I don't believe walking back by the roads, are very dangerous , if u walk on the gravel next to the main road.,but DO NOT walk on the road Side opposite the beach. On the beach side of the road you can walk just off the asphalt, but on the road side opposite the beach , if u walk off the asphalt ,there are several drop offs where u could go for a tumble. Why not walk it in the daytime and form your own opinion?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

I already fell into a storm drain on my last jaunt to Sosua. Not looking for a repeat!!

La Salle MB
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

We are at Kite Beach and regularily walk home from town on the beach. it is about a twenty minute walk, but it is also only 250 pesos, about $5,00 for a cab ride home if we have drank to much or are to tired to walk.

It is nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of the town nightlife

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,660 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

GaryandSharon,

I live in Cabarete and believe me that there are reasons why we don't walk on certain areas of the beach after dusk. Obviously, everyone's level of risk aversion is different.

Be careful on your noghttime beach walks.

Silvia

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

I wouldn't walk further than Nanny Estates personally. From the center of Cabarete to Nanny Estates, the beach is rather developed with multiple places having night time security personnel along the beach. However, past Nanny Estate, the beach is not really developed up until Kite Beach (probably about 10 minutes worth of walking).

That being said, it's not like Cabarete is crime ridden and people are looking to rob you whenever they have the chance. But you should always be careful and take very basic precautions that you would anywhere else in the world at night as well. The more people you are with the better, should walk closest to the ocean on the beach and should always be alert (if you have been drinking a good amount, cab it).

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

Thanks for your thoughtful messages, we will be cabbing it!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

Our condo is at kite beach, we walk to town everyday on the beach BUT

Always take a cab back!!

10. Re: Dangerous to walk from village to Kite Beach at night??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations