We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy alcohol?

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy alcohol?

We'll be staying at Ocean Manor resort in a week; our unit has a fridge. We'd like to stock up on some liquor to mix drinks. Where is the best place to buy beforehand? Is there a duty free shop at POP? We are leaving from JFK airport..should we buy duty free there? Any input appreciated! Thanks much!

La Salle MB
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

If you have a particular brand of alcohol you like and will drink no other, you may have to bring with you. My brother inlaw only likes Gibson's Rye Whiskey (Canadian Eh) so he has to bring it with him. But there is alot of variety of alcohol and prices are verey good, especially the rum. You can bring 3 litres with you. there is a duty free at Puerto Plata when nyou come in but it is more expensive there than what you would pay for alcohal in Cabarete. Here in town the best place to buy would be at Janet's Grocery store on the east end of the strip. They have a whole isle dedicated to wine and liquor. There is a lot of wine avaiable now, but I find that it costs about the same as you will pay at home. The Dominican beer is very good and reasonably priced, but if you wanr a bud or corona you will pay alot.A bottle of rum starts at about $5.00, other spirits at about $10.00 and if you want 20 year old Johnny Walker Scotch you could drop a $100.00.

Money exchange should be done here, you will get 40.5 pesos for a US dollar at Caribe Tours or Wally Rent A Car. (The two best places to change dollars) Everywhere else you'll get 38 or 39 Pesos to the US dollar. Bring a bunch of US $1.00s for tipping as the smallest bill they have her is 100 Pesos which is $2.50, Hope this helped.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

Great info! You mentioned the best place to exchange is Caribe Tours or Wally Rent A Car; where are they located? In town? or at airport?

La Salle MB
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

Wally rent a car is right in the middle of Cabarete, Caribe Tours is at tne west end of the strip. Money exchange at the airport will be a poor choice. Cab to town from airport will be 30 US

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,716 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

If you are staying in Ocean Manor, you can do you liquor shopping and exchange your US dollars at Janet's supermarket. Their exchange rate is usually same as Wally's, which you can check online, and it's much closer to you than Wally's.

Caribe Express is on the opposite side of town, and honestly, for the 1 additional cent of DOM $, it is not worth the trip. Wally's is at 40.44 today while Caribe Express was an hour ago at 40.45 to the USD.

You can check Wally's exchange rate on his site as it is updated daily:

wallycabarete.com/html/wally_cambio_en.php

BTW, Janet's has the best prices for liquor in town but if you can, you should bring from the US. It'll be cheaper. I don't know coming from Philadelphia but my experience is that buying in a liquor store (I live part time in Virginia) can be cheaper at times than duty free at any US airport. I find most items at the duty free are quite overpriced for anyone living in the US.

Silvia

PS: The official cab fare from the airpot is $35 US not $30.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 18:32
Saskatoon, SK
Level Contributor
806 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

Drink Presidente beer and Brugal Extra Viejo rum and it will be very cheap.

Both are excellent and locally made.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

hola... i live in Canada (ontario) and our liquor is quite expensive... $35 or more for a 24 of beer.... could you clarify something for me.. how much in USD or peso would, say, a 12 or 24 pack of beer be? thanks! its just that saying "same as back home" means something totally different for me haha

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

Beachlover, If you drink beer then you're not going to drag it with you from home. Janets has nice cold Presidentes. If you are a rum drinker then buy that here also. Prices are decent. However as Sharon_Gary mentioned if you have a particular brand of Premium booze you like then grab two bottles at duty free JFK so you are sure to have it at a decent price.

Saskatoon, SK
Level Contributor
806 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

It is 355 pesos for 6 Presidentes. A litre of Extra Viejo Brugal is 425 pesos at some places. That's 35 oz. for just over $10 US.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

My post was from last year, guys! LOL! We already went to Cabarete and had a blast. In 2 wks we'll be en route to St John USVI :). Cheers!

Saskatoon, SK
Level Contributor
806 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy alcohol?

No problem. I was answering jitt3rbugg's post from today. He continued on your original thread instead of starting a new one.