We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Arena - Please Help!

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo Arena - Please Help!

Hi!

I live in DR (la capital) and I am going to Cayo Arena on August 2. Im thinking of leaving on friday night and returning on sunday, so I can go to Cayo Arena on saturday. Where do I have to stay? Puerto Plata? Montecristi? I want to be close to Punta Rusia.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,043 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

You need to stay in Punta Rucia. Puerto Plata is two hours away.

I was there in May and it is well worth the trip and staying over few days. We only stay one night. If you have time, stop at the National Park Of Refuge of Manatees. I totally forgot the name of the city but is past La Isabella and before getting to Punta Rucia if you were coming to Puerto Plata.

Also stop at Playa Ensenada. Absolutely gorgeous beach.

There are a few places to stay in Punta Rucia, most of them budget accommodations without A/C. Some are listed on TripAdvisor. The only nice hotel with A/C is the Punta Rucia lodge. It's quite expensive though, and it breakfast and dinner:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g4156412-Punta_Rucia…

There are boats leaving to Cayo Arena from almost everywhere in Punta Rucia. Just a matter of asking and negotiating a price. The large tourist boats include lunch on return which we didn't care for and drinks while at the Cayo.

Silvia

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,043 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

Just remembered. The manatees park is in Estero Hondo.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

Silvia,

Thank you so much for the information.

I prefer an hotel with A/C, but as you said, Punta Cana Lodge is quite expensive.

What do you think of staying in Cayo Arena Hotel in Montecristi? They have A/C and the price is RD$6,500 (2 bedrooms apartment).

Do you speak spanish?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,043 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

You're welcome! Yes, I speak Spanish. I'm originally from Uruguay.

We didn't make it to Montecristi. By looking at the map, it should be an hour drive from Punta Rucia.

A/C is a problem. We stayed at a very nice villa (just rented the top floor) and it didn't have A/C. But it wasn't that bad with a ceiling fan and ocean front, we were fine. That was in May; it wasn't as hot as it is now.

Try asking on DR1 forums. Maybe someone knows of a condo rental closer to Punta Rucia, with A/C. I know for a fact that the hotels don't have it, except for the Punta Rucia Lodge and you saw the prices (they're a bit cheaper though than online. They were running a special when we stopped by to take a look. I can't recall for how much. Give them a call, who knows, if they're empty they may rent you for a lot less.)

Oh, the DR1 forum for the north coast:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/

Silvia

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

Ah pues mejor te respondo en español que es mi idioma :)

Gracias por la información. Llamé a Punta Cana Lodge pero los precios son muy altos.

Chequearé el foro que me dijiste. Gracias por el link.

Penélope.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,043 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

You're welcome! This is an English-only forum. You can send me a PM in Spanish any time.

Silvia

7. Re: Cayo Arena - Please Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:17