We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Topic
POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Hi,

Just booked a last minute trip. Leaving Sept 4th. Been to Punta Cana 6 times but never to this area.

How's the airport at POP and customs? Easy breezy like PUJ?

Transfer time from POP to Cabarete?

What day/night bars are the places to be?

Thanks

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Forgot the most important question lol. Is there a bar at POP airport that I can buy a few Presidente's before getting on the bus to the hotel?

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

The airport at POP is not nearly as nice as PUJ - IMHO LOL. Enclosed building with jetways, and I don't recall a BAF anywhere! Small airport (in comparison to YYZ) and very easy to navigate.

There is a place to buy beer just outside the exit to the left if I remember correctly.

I think it was about 20-25 minutes to Cabarete.

We enjoyed POP as it is easy to get off resort and wander the city proper.

Bugs

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Ditto....bugsy knows best. It is small and easy to navigate. We loved POP and would love to visit Cabarete. Will be looking for your review Bigjim. Beach looks AWESOME with all the kitesurfers! And the nightlife looks pretty wild as well.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

The airport has just been totally renovated and is quite nice now. Easy transition from plane to passport check to luggage and customs. 99% of the time Customs just waves you by, very easy.

Just outside to the left are a couple of small store where you can get a cold president or two for the ride.

Is your hotel providing transportation? I am not aware of any that have a regular shuttle like the resorts in Play Dorada. If not it is about a 25 min cab ride at the most ($35 each way)

Have a great time. You will find the beach is lined with bars, restaurants and clubs.

BObK

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Bugs, thank you for the info! Happy to hear the airport is easy to navigate makes it that much easier to b-line straight to the bar lol :)

-------------------

BobK, yes transfer is included.

It's with Sunwing so I know I have to pay the entry/exit fees. Never booked a package with them before always been Air Canada or Transat so hopefully all goes smoothly. Actually it has already turned into a rough start. The flight to DR was direct and now apparently there plane was not full so their combining a group that is headed to Cuba. Just finished speaking with them and they said it is more like a burn and turn then anything (I'm hoping that is the case). They said it's a quick stop in Holguin to drop off those people (we stay on the plane) then back in the air to POP.

As far as the transfer goes I'm sure there will be stops at 2 or 3 other hotels first. It's alright though not in a rush and the green bottles will pass the time lol. The one thing I don't get though is to head back to the airport. I'm hoping the person I spoke with was not entirely correct. I asked him if the bus time to return would be posted somewhere at the hotel (which is usually the case). He said no but a Sunwing rep goes to hotel the day before departure and informs everyone what time the bus is. Guess no excursions that day as we'll be waiting for the rep to tell us what time we leave at. I dunno sounds more of an inconvenience then anything. Oh well we will see what happens. Return flights at 4pm so can always just do a taxi.

--------

Oceangirl yes I will definitely be following up with a review or at least a recap of Cabarete. I'm looking forward to going there, never thought I'd make it to that side of DR as it is always PUJ but have friends from United Kingdom that are flying in today. So this trip is more to surprise them (after months of telling them I couldn't make it lol)

Kitesurfing is on my must do list and can't wait to check the party scene out since that is right up my ally. I'm sure everyone is just as friendly and outgoing as PUJ so it will likely be a great trip plus it is nice to see something new and change things up a bit.

Thank you all for answering my questions!

Edited: 01 September 2013, 19:25
6. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 03:05
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,748 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Details on arrival information, if any needs them, are on Tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g317144-c131324/Cabar…

Silvia

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Just hit the beach,there is a mile long stretch choc a bloc of bars.....the scene at night is awesome as the party stretches out onto the beach. It is the best nite-life scene In Dominican Republic...Since Cabarete is basically a surf town the crowd is young and lively and ready to party. American style bars the Kahuna and Lazy Dog have the latest american music and live bands while Onno's and Bambu are more latin where you can merengue it is hypnotic can not hazve good time. If you want a more Dominican a street almost directly across from Tangerine hotel goes into the barrio and you will find Domincan srtyle the Voo Doo lounge here is a great spot with good live bands.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

Jimjax thanks for the response but were already back lol. What you mentioned though is what we did every night till the bars closed then we found a place near the scotia bank that stayed opened to the early morning hours. Kahuna's, Onno's, Mojoitos, Havanna. All awesome and we had a great time!

10. Re: POP airport to Cabarete / Nighttime Bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:17