We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice

Nanaimo, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for advice

Our( Canadian) family will be staying in Cabarete for 6 months and I'm looking for suggestions for stuff to do with the kids. Places to go and places to avoid. My husband will be working some of the time and I'd like to meet other families as well. My kids are 7&2

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice

I think I mentioned Monkey Jungle in another post.

Sosua beach for a day or two; Playa Grande day trip; 1/2 day or all day tour of Puerto Plata, Cable car, fort, market, Ambar museum, etc.; Cabarete beach of course.

Sylvia may have more for you.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,402 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice

Six months is a long time. I agree, you probably want to meet other families with kids. I'm sorry I don't have much in way of advice to where to go to meet other mom with small kids, but there are plenty in town.

As to where to go with the kids, I think a place they will definitely enjoy is the water park at Sosua Ocean Village. It's about a 10-minute car drive from Cabarete. Unfortunately, there are no parks with swings for children nor parks to go for a walk.

I''m not certain how much your children would enjoy touring Puerto Plata, but assuming you'll have transportation or can hire a cabbie for the day, there is a fantastic beach for kids about an hour away that it is worth the drive. It's called Playa Diamante, located near the town of Cabrera. Google it; you'll find lots of photos and description.

Another great beach closer by (aside from Sosua beach) for children is Caleton. That's past Rio San Juan and about 40 minutes from Cabarete.

Monkey Jungle is up the mountains in Sosua and also a nice place for kids to visit.

I don't have any suggestions as to places to avoid, none except Cabarete or any beach for that matter during Holy Week. Just too crowd and dirty and not worth going out with so many people on the roads. Also be extra careful walking down the street and crossing the main road with your children.

If something else comes to mind, I'll let you know.

Silvia

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice

Yes Holy week stay inside or fly to San Juan or something. But as Sylvia said, the most important thing to avoid is the street, don't cross without looking four times, very busy. Lots of beaches and a good pool help pass the time.

fort lauderdale,fl
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice

If you want your kids to meet other kids, they should join some of the after school activities, like horse back riding at Sea Horse Ranch or the trapeze at Extreme, on the week end many kids go surfing in the morning. You could also see with the international school if your kids could join the soccer team, or other sport just for the six month you will be living there.

Also, depending of where you will be living some places have more kids then other.

Nanaimo, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advice

We're at Ocean Dream and so far have been in the pool and at the beach a ton. When is Holy Week?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,457 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for advice

That is Easter week and you will be long gone by then so don't worry.

Have you taken the kids to monkey jungle yet?

BObK

Edited: 05 July 2014, 00:05
7. Re: Looking for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete