We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabarete vs samana peninsula

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
cabarete vs samana peninsula

I am trying to plan our 10-12 night vacation with 2 kids (3&1) and 4 very active young adults. We want an amazing beach with beautiful water, cute town with some restaurants and local shops and safety. We are planning on staying in villa with staff where ever we choose. I was almost decided on samana peninsula (last terrenas vs. las galeras?) but then I saw the amazing rappelling and white water rafting you can do around cabarete... im so torn. Please I need advice -

( adventure activities would not be done with kids - so dont worry :)

advice please - im afraid that samana is maybe more of what we want but then Ill be missing out on awesome adventure or if I choose cabarete will the beaches/water not be as amazing and too commercial?

thanks!

Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

They are both great choices

Either one will be a fun vacation

Ill lean towards samana but if you can split the trip 6 days in samana 6 in cabarete with a day trip to sosua beach will be awesome

Edited: 11 July 2014, 01:00
milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

ok if I split my time and most flight from chicago only go to santo domingo what would be best santo domingo drive to where first and then drive back to santo domingo?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

First off you do not want to drive here. You can use buses to get from SD to either place in about 4.5 hours (after a cab transfer to the bus station).

If you have to fly to SD you might consider a change of plans to a resort in the Punta Cana area.

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,040 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

FYI, to my knowledge, there is no white water rafting in Cabarete. If you saw any photos or comments, they were probably of Jarabacoa, not Cabarete. Jarabacoa if I remember correctly is about 2.5 hours away.

In Samana, I would go for Las Terrenas. Las Galeras is very beautiful but in my view kind of a boring town. If you want to split your time, you could fly to SDQ, take a cab to Las Terrenas (very expensive), and then another cab from Las Terrenas to Cabarete.

There are bus alternatives also, not terribly convenient but there's that possibility too.

Silvia

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

The night times in Las Galeras may lack the noise and excitement of Cabarete but day time for adventures, horseback riding, hiking, zipline (easily accessible as it is near Samana) caves to explore, Fronton beach - a day spent lazing, swimming, snorkelling and exploring is a day well worth spent - Madama beach, Playita, Rincon beach, all easily accessible.and all offer great snorkelling (and scuba diving) .Follow the ginger trail on horseback or quad, visit Boca del Diablo ( a great blowhole but go with a guide).

Evenings, restaurants are open till quite late and we do have one exceptional new one, El Monte Azul and it is stunning and the owners are very child friendly. Plus Las Galeras is a safe friendly community. with a wide range of villas, Band B's and aparthotels to suit every pocket

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

Flying into SDQ then Las Terenas would be the first choice for your desires.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

Does it just make more sense to stick to samana peninsula then? Maybe split my time between las galeras and las terrenas instead?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

Yes, the best beaches are in the Samana Peninsula and LT has a charm. Plenty of activities, plenty. LG too has great beaches and a slower pace.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

So should I splint my time 6 nights Las terrenas and 6 nights las galeras? or just stick to one?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cabarete vs samana peninsula

That would work or maybe a few more in LT and a few less in LG. LG has some awesome beaches but less to do in the very small town. I just went with two older kids and they loved a few days in LG at the beach and pool but with the tablet they would have gotten bored. In LT they have more to do in town. LT is more active and more choices to eat/drink/etc.

How's 8/4?