We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sousa ,,, i have questions ...

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
sousa ,,, i have questions ...

how is the weather there in late march and hows the tourists and i gonna be the only blanco there or at the clubs are there gonna be people my age 21 to 30 who whould chill and hit the bars ... what about in the daytime on the beach will the girls come up to u >? my spanish is limited but i do have dominican uncles and half couisns who always go but no one wants to go even my mother had been lol and that was in 1973 so i work landscapeing and this is my down season so only good time for me to go would be end of march ,,, also what is a good ammonut of money i should bring to bemore than comfortable for 5 days? again thank you so much for the help

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,177 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

I'll try to answer at least some of your questions:

Weather in late March, hot.

White, brown, yellow, black, red, tanned tourists, expats, and Dominicans of all colors.

People in the 21-30 age group: yes, maybe not predominantly that young. Many, if not most, will "hit the bars".

Girls will come up to you on the beach? Yes, and they will charge you.

Amount of money depends on whether you are going All-Inclusive or not.

Hope that helps.

Silvia

Edited: 16 February 2011, 04:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

yes it does help alot :0) ... i have a couple more lol ... if u dont mind ... so the ones on the beach are basically prostitutes lol is there any chics there that aint pros lol i am going with my boy he is blk and i am white ,,, i am staying at terra linda so its in the center near the bars and clubs ,,, so how much is good 1000 ... 500 ? how much is a beer there american dollars ? and is it safe for us to walk pedro clisante st and near my hotel at night ? we basically simple no shopping just drinking eating good food and living the night life safely .... ty so much for helping me

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

OK hopefully this will help.

Any chica who approaches you in on the beach or in the towns of Sosua or Cabarete is a prostitute. You wil not meet a "nice" girl while on vacation here.

The hotel you are staying out is very good and recently totally redone. It is "guest" friendly so no problem bringing your entertainment home with you. It is safe to walk around the area as long as you are not doing stupid things (flashing money, wearing lots of bling, overtly drunk and so on)

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,177 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

A beer is between $2-$3 depending on the bar.

For a week, you should have plenty with $1,000, but it's best that you bring less and your ATM card. Withdraw from ATM as necessary. Let your bank know that you're traveling to the DR; otherwise your ATM card may get canceled to prevent fraud.

Cheers,

Silvia

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

wow thank you very much .... so what towns are good to meet decent woman in dr ? what bars are good over there ? any strip clubs ?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

Now you really have me confused. You ask where can you meet a decent woman and the immediatly ask are there any strip clubs. So are you looking for a decent woman in a strip club???

All kidding aside what you are looking for you may find more info on a different forum like DR1 or ISOC.

BObK

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

oh ok well my friend backed out of the trip to el batey so i have to go alone now ... so is it safe for a white american to go by himself will there be other people to talk to there ? will i meet people i can hang with and be safe to walk place to place alone ?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

By my count this is the third time you asked if Sosua is safe for a "white American". You seem to have a very strange preoccupation with race. In that case, maybe the Dominican Republic is not for you. Sosua is not particularly dangerous, and in the daytime it is perfectly safe to walk around but most decent people are in their homes or hotels by like midnight. If you don't speak any Spanish, you will probably get by ok and even manage to have a fun time, but without speaking an acceptable level of Spanish, besides the expats and the few tourists hanging around, you will only be conversing with prostitutes, hustlers, and scam artists; not to mention paying up to 5 times the normal price for everything, (and I do mean EVERYTHING)

Your chances of encountering a decent girl who is not a prostitute in Sosua is zero, and as a non Spanish speaking foreigner, fairly remote in the rest of the country for that matter.

You can still come to Sosua, be safe, and have a good time, but keep these facts in mind at all times when you are there so you don't get taken for a ride.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

thank you again ,,,, yes i am famailar with dominicans i have family who are and my god son is dominican and most of my friends are i understand some but cant speak it ,,, but i google the town crime and they said alot so i wanted to hear someone who had actually been there ,,, so by 5 times the price meaning like what food alchol at the bars late night ... ,,, sorry just asking when i heard they killed a tourist i just wanna be safe sorry for bothering u over and over ,,,, just wonderd if there was gonna be people 21 to 30 to chill with till 2 am in the bars drinking having fun b4 i walk back ,,, or would u suggest a cab ..

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sousa ,,, i have questions ...

Many restaurants and bars catering to foreigners are very overpriced by local standards. Most foreigners hanging out at the bars live there, or are in town looking for ladies. In both cases they will likely be much older than that age range.