We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Manana- how is it?

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Manana- how is it?

I am coming to Sousa next week. I found a good deal on Casa Manana. I just want to make sure its a safe hotel, and is close to restaurants, and the clubs.

Please let me know.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

The hotel is perfectly safe, newly renovated and VERY convient to the town, shops, goood restaurants, bars and clubs. It is next to a very nice beach with a new park (park should be completed in the next week or two) and a 5 min walk to the main Sosua bay beach.

You will have a great time

BObK

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Bobk..

Thanks for the information on Casa Manana. I am happy to hear that its close to everything. I am coming as of this Wednesday for a few days, too bad the park won't be finished till then. Do you know of any good and reasonable priced restuarants. I love fresh seafood, but don't want to overpay for the food.

New York City
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Hola Sashafierce! (cool screen name by the way - B.'s one of my all-time favorite celebrities in the entire mundo! - Happy 3rd Anniversary to her and Jay-Z today!!)

Any-hooo, so I assume you're no longer interested in apartments close to the beach with a kitchen? Good on you! You'll find most meals in the DR very reasonable, and if you're interested in fresh seafood, your appetite will find it quite delicious as well.

Directly on charming Playa Sosua you'll have dozens of restaurants behind the beach where fresh fried fish, oysters, mussels and plump, succulent shrimp are on offer... Eat at the outside tables under the shade of a tropical canopy or relax on the beach and have any number of beach vendors bring the dishes directly to your comfortable beach chair, as you relax tanning by the shore. That's living I tell ya! :-)

Restaurant Orchidee has excellent seafood (actually ALL their food is divine)! As is my other favorite spot, located directly on Pedro Clisante, Alberto Tipico. Then there's Bailey's with their lovely seafood combo platter - that shouldn't be missed! Locals and savvy tourists alike venture further down Pedro Clisante for Restaurant Susana and her Dominican dishes, with side staples like beans and rice, plantains, etc., all for less than $3US!

Blessedly, most Sosuan restaurants leave you no reason to worry about overpaying ... overeating, however, could be an entirely different issue, one that you won't mind at all - you can always dance it off at a club or three! :-)

Buen viaje!

MAP OF SOSUA -

gringo-times.com/maps/sosua-map-interactive.…

www.sosuanews.com

www.dr-restaurants.com/restaurants.php…

http://www.baileys-sosua.com/

http://www.hotelorchidee.ch/ *

*(FYI - Hotel Orchidee does in fact have apartments with kitchens, starting at $50US a night...)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Flly guy

Great response.

BObK

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Hey Brooklyn fly guy..

I didn't know it was Jay Z and B's 3rd Anniversary. Yeah I am def a big fan of both of them.

I am actually staying at Casa Manana. I was just a bit concerned with the weather since I just found out Casa Manana does not have central AC. They do have ceiling fans, so hopefully the weather won't be that hot at night or in the morning. Most of the time will be spend at the beach catching some sun. I have been to Sousa to the beach before, but I never stayed in the area till now. I will def check out the restaurants you mentioned. esp the ones with the local food.

I have def enjoying reading your other post on Sousa.. it seems you def know the area very well. Who knows maybe one day we will cross paths in BK or Sousa.. I come to BK a lot to see my family.

oh before I forgot.. what's like the average price of cab if I went from Casa Manana to Carbette(misspelled), and also what's the average price to pay for liquor like vodka or rum or tequila at the local clubs in Sousa? Last time I was in Puerto Plata at Coco Bongo, and it felt that they overcharged tourist for the liquor. Just curious to know.

Thanks again.

New York City
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Gracias, Bobk!

Sasha, I hope for your sake it's not humid in your room ... I stay next door at SBTS where I sleep with the windows open for that gentle ocean breeze, but during the day, I gots to have my AC on! Bueno suerte to ya!

You won't need luck, nor mucho dinero, for cab rides out to Cabarete ... Cabbies park their air conditioned vans right in front of your hotel - Casa MARINA Beach - where the beisbol diamonds are, and they'll charge you $500 pesos (about $14US) for the trip. Ask for their number if you like them, then use 'em later for a return trip and/or a ride to the airport for home.

Mr. Big Spenda over here can't recall how much he pays for drinks while out and about, but it's not much, maybe $200 but not more than $300 pesos a drink for top shelf brands like Absolut. And Brugal Ron (Cuba LIbres anyone?) is remarkably cheap. Still, in my case it adds up rather quickly... Go figure - I only consume copious amounts of Presidentes (chased by tequila body shots) when I'm in Classicos! Must be all the drinks I buy for my dance partners! Shoot me ... I'm on vacaciones!

The cheapest spot for drinks (with very few, if any gringos) is El Flow... Just bring your earplugs! Dios Mio!

Welp, I'm sure one day I'll see ya on the sands of DR or the streets of Brooklyn! In the meantime, have fun in the sun, you! ... Then come back and tell us all about it, whydon'tcha! :-)

___

Oh yeah, by the way, from one Beyoncé/Jay-Z fan to another ... check this site out! Note how the happy couple is spending their anniversary on a private yacht in the Bahamas before they return home to NYC... (I'm such a Stan! :-P

www.beyonceworld.net

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Well during the day.. I will def be at the beach or at the pool. I can't stand the super sticky humid weather. I might have to check out your hotel next time I come back to visit. How is that hotel?

I might check out the el flow spot. I love the local spots and I love mi reggeton, and merenge, and Salsa. I am def a Hip Hop chica, but also love mi musica Latina esp the local spots. I noticed at places where more tourist are at.. they tend to play the top 40 music over and over.

Mmmm que rico.. I can't wait to start my drinking in approx 1 day away. I am ready to destress and have fun!

I saw the picture of Bey and Jay Z on mediatakeout.com this evening.. I heard also she might be doing a different kind of music.. some euro techno music.. anything she does it will sound good..

New York City
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

I love SBTS ... It's got all the bells and whistles of an AI, yet it's small enough to give it that cozy feel, ya know? It's quiet, mostly families and kids, which I love, actually - they remind me of my carefree youth and trips to the Bahamas I took with my family at the ripe ol' age of 8! You've got a gorgeous semi-private beach, a pool with jacuzzi, weigh room, and a great restaurant serving Dominican staples to order most nights and an elaborate daily buffet for breakfast. Eating while gazing at lovely Mt. Isabel over the Atlantic ocean's crashing waves couldn't be more pleasant...

But ya know what? I stay mostly 'cause after 7 years, the staff, management and indeed some of the guests I see each and every summer are like family now. So it's less going on vacation and more like coming home... Let me stop, next thing ya know, I'll be running to Expedia to book a trip this weekend! :-)

You, are a woman after my own heart, I humbly admit I am by far the baddest gringo salsa dancer in Sosua! I'm quite legendary there for it actually! I don't care for too much hip hop - I can hear that all day everyday here in BK, so I try to immerse myself within Dominican culture, so salsa, bachata and merengue are my nightly indulgences. Rut-ro, Shaggy, I feel Travelocity a callin'... :-)

You should definitely check out my new favorite spot (with mostly locals), the Happy Bar on Pedro Clisante for your salsa/bachata dancing pleasure - I cut a mean rug with the bartenders there before heading out to other spots, namely Classicos... El Flow's a good look too - it'll be crowded as all get-out, but it is loads of fun, and they have some 'fierce' salsa dancers as well!

See what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMfZEDF5MkU

One more day, eh? I'm trying so very hard to not hate on you about now! Oh well, July will be here soon enough (he says, not really believing it)! :-)

nj
Level Contributor
731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

Casa Marina Beach doesnt have AC???

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Manana- how is it?

@ ChrisBNJ... I am staying at Casa Manana, not Casa Marina Beach.

I am not sure if your hotel has AC.

Get answers to your questions about Sosua