We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
715 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Getting a lot closer to my 7 day trip to Sosua with the fellas 5 Guys. I've gotten quite a bit of info about the ins and outs of Sosua, but am not to sure of how to squeeze Cabarete into our trip.

I was wondering if it should be a Day Trip for the Beach, a Night Trip for the Clubs or Restaurants. And also transportation is always a concern. How much is the trip from Sosua to Cabarete? Any good Clubs/Restaurants that are must see?

Thanks in Advance!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

I would spend the afternoon, evening and night in town on the beach enjoying the beach, bars, restaurants and clubs.

You can get a cab from Sosua to Cabarete for about $15 each way.

BObK

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

It is only 10km between Sousa and Caberete.

There are also local guas guas (minibus) betwen the 2 though for a large group a taxi is probably better.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
282 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Cabarete is definitely worth a day trip and maybe even an evening too. As B0bk mentions, take a taxi to Cabarete, between you & your bud's, it's like $3 bucks each, $6 round trip, well worth it. Take a day trip there, have the taxi drop you off in the middle of Cabarete and enjoy the day. You can even take in a kitesurfing or windsurfing lesson while your there too. There are plenty of restaurants on the beach, but if tou want to eat primo Dominican food head over to Sandra's right across from the beach in the middle of Cabarete, the service is slow, so down some brews and chill, because the food is well worth the wait. Cabarete is also worth a taxi ride back at night to experience the clubs there. Cabarete's nightclubs have much more of European feel to them, whereas Sousa's clubs are much more of a Dominican vibe. I'm sure you and your buddies will have plenty to amuse yourselves in Sousa or Cabarete . . . Have a great trip, and don't forget to write a trip report. . . .

To a geat trip,

streetscaper69

Los Angeles

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Thanks Streetscaper69,

I cant wait. Is Cabarete a 7 day, 7 night typoe of town or is there a specific night of the week that will be great to visit without me missing out on what Sosua has going on? Any good Seafood spots?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
282 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

jbones . . .

In regard to Cabarete being a 7 day/night kind of town . . . Well it all depends on what you're into. Like Sousa, Cabarete is most likely happening every night. Some nights are slower than others, of course Friday thru Sunday is always hopping . . . Probably Monday & Tuesday are kind of slow but there is always fun to be had.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it all depends what you're into. In my experience of traveling to the DR 4 times, it seemed to me that Cabarete has more a European feel to it, and for me that's not what I'm into. Sousa is much more of a Dominican feel for me, I can go an entire day or two and never talk to a foreigner, and just totally hang with Dominicans on the beach, the bars, & the clubs. But both are great spots for vacation. You might wanna spend more than 1 day/night in Cabarete for the beach environs & the nightlife. When I visited the area for a week or more, I generally take in one or two days in Cabarete and one night there partying. . . . As far as seafood, in Cabarete, again check out Sandra's, they have a very complete menu to chose from . . . As for BBQ, check out Big D's on Playa Sousa, they do chicken & ribs real good. . . . Look into BFG's posts, he always list some great spots to eat n play . .

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Thanks for the advice,

Word on the street is Big D's is a must, LoL. I definitely will check him out. Caught a glance of his work on youtube, and the beer can chicken looks like a must! Me and my group of friends that are going are all around the age of 30 (this trip is for my 30th bday) and love the club and bar scenes, but also like to sit back and enjoy a little calm time to reflect on how far we've come. Sounds like Cabarete should be cool, can't wait to get there! Hopefully the January weather is nice to us, with minimal rain.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

It wont' rain in January. no worries

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

Jbones ..when are you going ...

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

January 10-17th (to be confirmed). Me and 4 of my amigos booked for Sosua Bay Club.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Days in Sosua, Whay about Cabarete?

If you are only going for the one day/night in Cabarete, I'd make it the Saturday. In January there will be a few people out every night but it can be a bit hit & miss mid week. Saturday will almost certainly be busy. Sunday is a good day on the beach, especially if you enjoy watching the kite surfing. A lot more of the local Dominican lads are out, showing off, pulling big tricks & stunts. Obviously, that is wind dependent.

Casa del Pescador on the beach is pretty good for seafood, especially the 'surf & turf'. Voyvoy is a fun bar and has a decent chef too, so make sure you walk a bit further down the beach.