We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sosua Update

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sosua Update

Heavy police presence at night; Spot lounge usually just had a few people in the establishment and mostly men; D Latinos is still the spot to be along with Rumbas Bar; helmets are required while riding motor bikes during the day and you can expect to be stopped by police if your not wearing one; propina (tip) may be asked for if police catch you driving down a one way street; this new director of tourism is trying to put an end to outright prostitu...as i just read this in Sosua news; Big Dave is expanding his business to another location but will still have his location on the beach also.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sosua Update

Yes during the day on some days the police are enforcing various traffic laws, but not all and not every day. One day helmets (required for drivers only), one day one way streets, one day stop signs etc. Pretty hit and miss.

There is maybe just a slight increase in police presence at night but still lots of "ladies" about. Still kind of a hands off deal in Sosua. Bars are less crowded now as it is low (very low) season and in fact some of the restaurants and shops are taking time off for vacation at this time.

Big D (not Dave but just big D) does still have the great rib place on the beach but he and Rod (previous owner of Café Cubano in town) have opened a new, and very good, restaurant in town at the hotel Colibri. It is just getting started with a soft opening this month and will be fully operational July 1. It will very quickly become one of the "hot" spots in town.

BObK

Hoover, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sosua Update

Hey, there! Not really a reply, but a question! I am having a terrible time trying to decide between two areas of the island for our trip next year. I have been looking forward to this for a very long time and could really use the help of an expert! Can you help me with the difference between the Puerto Plata/Sosua area and La Romana, for instance? I am also looking into Carbarete. We would like to stay somewhere that has a town nearby for hanging out, not a mega resort so much. Thank you in advance for your time!

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sosua Update

Sosua or Caberete would be my choice.

Great towns, local people, and not too touristy.

John

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sosua Update

I second the vote for Sosua/Cabarete for what you are looking for

BObK

Hoover, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sosua Update

Thank you!!

New York City
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sosua Update

Gracias, Ron F for the update ... I trust you had a Great trip?! Que bueno!!!

Alrighty then ... so The Spot, which fancies itself to be oh-so 'sofistimacated' ... with equally suited women, is sparsely occupied.....................with dudes. Well, isn't that special. How was the musica, tho?

Welp, good thing Rumba's still a jumpin' 'cause I will NOT be sweatin' bullets at D'Latins that's for sure! Of course if they play salsa or any other latin grooves, I'll be forced to settle in a bit.

And that 'crackdown' has been going down for as long as I've been coming down! Still, nothing changes except the increased harassment and/or detainment of Haitians for a week or two ... then it's back to (the oldest) business as usual.

Anywhoo, Gracias, BobK for the heads-up on Big D's new venture! Looking forward to tryin' that one out in 35 days! Tho I still like eating on the beach at his original spot, choice is always a good thing.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sosua Update

Though D's new place does not open officially till July 4th weekend they are having a month of "soft" openings all this and next month.

Monday tapas for 99 pesos each and they are trying different dishes they want on their menu to get reactions to it

Friday night is seafood buffet and the food is great

Starting next week Wednesdays should be beer and BBQ night and I will keep you posted on that one.

He and Rod should have a very successful place.

BObK

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sosua Update

Speaking of harassment of Hatians- your sure right about that. I saw two policeman throw two Hatian men on their bike at the same dam time...(one bike) and it just seemed as though the Hatian dudes were just walking down the street. I'd never seen anything like that since I've been coming down. Wow. Still love Sosua nevertheless. Back down in 90 days. And Big D is cooking at the only spot I lodge at every time....da best!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sosua Update

Speaking of harassment of Hatians- your sure right about that. I saw two policeman throw two Hatian men on their bike at the same dam time...(one bike) and it just seemed as though the Hatian dudes were just walking down the street. I'd never seen anything like that since I've been coming down. Wow. Still love Sosua nevertheless. Back down in 90 days. And Big D is cooking at the only spot I lodge at every time....da best!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sosua Update

Def had a good time "fly guy"... How couldn't you down there? Right? I've met a few fellas that I travel with down there now and all is well everytime. Love it man. Absolutely.

Get answers to your questions about Sosua
Recent Conversations