We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

I read that you shouldn't drink the tap water at the resorts in Punta Cana, and not even use it for brushing your teeth. I am referring specifically to the Adult Only Bavara Beach Resort. Can you eat the salads in the restaurants or are they washed with tap water? What about the coffee and tea? I just want to know what to expect as coming down with Montezuma's Revenge could spoil your vacation!!

Thanks.

gere

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

It is true that you should not drink the tap water in your room, and use bottled water only for drinking and brushing your teeth. The water used in restaurants is filtered/treated so in our experience, salads/coffee/tea and drinking water served in the restaurants is fine. I have not stayed at the resort you mention, but what I've mentioned is the norm for PC resorts. Enjoy your trip!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Use the bottled water to brush teeth and drink. Filtered water is used in all DR resorts in the preparation of any food and drinks.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

You do not have to use bottled water to brush your teeth , shower ( difficult ) or cooking . Just do not drink it .

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Use bottled water to brush teeth.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Ditto to #4

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

"You do not have to use bottled water to brush your teeth , shower ( difficult ) or cooking . Just do not drink it ."

Just to note as this may fall under the catagorie of "cooking"...do not use tap water to make your coffee in your room either using the coffee machine. I made this mistake once, not even thinking about it and both my husband and myself were extremly sick for 2 days after.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

All expats living in the DR use filtered( bottled) water for everything other than bathing in their homes...... Speaks volumes for using the same 'good sense' practices on our brief occasional visits to this tropical isle.

Most regulars to the DR will confirm this.

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Thanks for all your replies. I feel better knowing that I can enjoy the salads, etc. in the restaurants and if I make coffee in the room, will use the bottled water, just to be on the safe side.

This is a wonderful forum. I appreciate all of you very much. Thanks again!

gere

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

My first trip to Punta Cana we made coffee with the tap water and was sick for two days. Don't do it!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bavara Beach Resort Tap Water??

Hmmm...I agree with not drinking it, but I brush my teeth with tap water all the time. I have not sprouted an extra limb, but it may explain my lack of hair on top! I am also a rebel by actually having my mouth open while showering. Some might suggest duct tape over all orifices as a precaution.

All rincing of vegetables is done with bottled water. Some food preparation such as boiling potatoes...etc can be done with tap water, as the boiling period kills off everything.

How Many Minutes To Boil Water Until Safe To Drink

30 minutes at 160° F

3 minutes at 185° F

Instant at 212° F

Coffee makers in the room do not boil the water, thus not a good idea to consume the hot tap water. There is plenty of water available at all resorts for drinking.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro