We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

Which Bavaro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

I've noticed that everyone comments on the calmness of the water due to the barrier coral reef, but what about the snorkeling at Punta Cana? I couldn't find it in the FAQ area. Any particular resorts recommended for this too?

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

Catalonia, or Catalonia Royal are best for snorkeling....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

I've asked the same thing on this forum from the point of is it even worth bringing my snorkeling equipment as I have snorkled in some pretty awesome places like Roatan. The answers I got were that it is calmer on the more southern part of Bavaro Beach...i.e. where the Catalonia, Barcelo, etc are..because the reef is actually closer to shore there but don't expect to see much when snorkeling. I am still debating whether to stick my snorkeling equipment in the suitcase or not. I think I will probably bring it anyway knowing that there is not much in the way of coral/fish to see but I can still check out what's going on under the surface....might just be a good showing of sand and the odd fish. We are staying at the Iberostar but we are long distance walkers so we plan to walk down to at least the Barcelo...about 8 miles from where we are staying and may carry our snorkeling equipment with us...maybe we can snag a boat ride from someone...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

Catalonia, while not having any nice coral to see, can have a fair amount of marine life to view. I've seen all different kinds of fish from small blue and yellow to barracuda. I've also seen rays and snake eels. Others have seen baby squid. The grassy area inside of the reef is an incubator. Calm, shallow and warm. Lots of food and shelter for young fry and smaller fish species. Definitely not Aruba but the best for the PC area.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

Thanks Margadagio...I think I will bring my snorkeling equipment and dip in a few places....eewwww...snake eels in the sea grass...those things are soooo creepy...I can live without seeing those!!!!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

At the very least, pack your mask (to assure a good fit) and snorkel (for sanitary reasons) and borrow fins from the resort, or go finless. I don't bring my snorkeling gear to PC, and I LOVE snorkeling.... it's just not the destination for it.

There are travel fins too, that you might want to look at. www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___72479 I have these.... a lot easier to pack than full length fins, but plenty of kick.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

Once when I didn't want to check any luggage on a trip to Mexico I neatly trimmed about 3" off my fins so that they would fit into a regulation size carry on bag. They are still pretty long...lol. I hope I won't be too bored with Bavaro beach...with the limited action underwater. Haven't booked yet so still time to re-think. Would go back to Riviera Maya in a heart beat but friend I am going with doesn't want to go there again.

7. Re: snorkeling off of Punta Cana/Bavaro Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20