We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sand

Hi there

my daugher is wanting to know if we can bring back some of the sand from the beaches for her. i know from our past holidays to other destinations we were not allowed to bring anything like that back. are we allowed from the DR?

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand

I use a water bottle. Haven't had a problem yet.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand

I'm going to guess no, as you are not allowed to bring back dried star fish unless painted (or something like that we were told), woven tree leaf hats, etc. I don't even know if I'd chance it - not everyone does, but we encountered sandlfleas from the beach (Deep Woods OFF helps repel them while you're there). I suppose they wouldn't last in the cold though, lol.

If you still wanted to, maybe one of those tiny jam jars, wrapped in bubble wrap and then in a Ziploc might do it....good luck and have fun :)

Edited: 02 February 2014, 16:36
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand

I just did. The customs declaration says the declare soil....sand to me is not soil....I put some in a dollar store screw top travel jar...plastic

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,268 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand

No offense intended, but what is the appeal of bringing sand back? Just curious.

Mark

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand

I've actually met someone who collected small amounts of sand from various destinations around the world. Curious yes, but when it comes to collections, to each his/her own, lol. This is why I'd said to use the small jam jar - the little ones from those gift basket type of jars - a friend's mom had a shelf of them, all with filled with sand from her travels to different beaches. Of course, plastic makes more sense for transport :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand

I had a bag,,,, (in my carry on),,, just be prepared to be pulled aside, and have the hazmat team totally interrogate you. they chemically tested it, and all was fine. Felt like a criminal, But they are just doing their job, so go for it, if you have extra time to be pulled aside. Or, put in checked luggage.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand

Put it in your pocket ... lol who cares...

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand

The gift shops have decorative little bottles of sand for sale.

Grand...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand

I have a little decorative bottle with punta cana sand in it on my kitchen window sill just makes me feel better when i look at it

Arkansas
Level Contributor
320 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand

Mark,

My wife and I bring back sand from our beach vacations. Whenever we travel someplace new, we bring some home - less than the amount that would fit in a water bottle. We put it in small antique bottles and put them on a shelf in our living room. That's just the souvenir we choose to bring back instead of some junky trinket, I guess. It is interesting to compare the various type and texture from different places. Weird? Maybe...I don't know and don't care. Our friends think it is kind cool and we even have the sand from where we were standing when we got married on the beach.

We take one of those collapsible coolers that holds a six-pack in our luggage. Take that to the beach while on vacation. Throw a little sand in, put it in a garbage bag pack it with our dirty laundry. Never a problem bringing it home.

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro