We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Have just booked our condo ( and flights) for 3 month stay Dec 2014 to March 2015. Staying at Villa Mare - just between Playa Turquesa and Stanza Mare

So excited and thrilled to be going back...this will be our 3rd year as long stay so we know the area pretty well but would love to hear from others who do the condo rental thing.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

We have booked Dec 1 until apr 14 and this is our fourth year of staying in condos for the winter. Who did you find your flights through as I went online and nothing was showing up yet. We are at Playa Turquesa going back to Thornbury the 14th.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Harman .. We booked with Air Canada (Rouge). They had up to end of March up. We are going December 23 thru March 22 . This will be our first christmas away. What is it like around the holidays . Ie is the fruit truck guy around, is the wholesaler behind Gladys open...etc

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Yes...Playa Turquesa again. From 18th January to 18th March 2015...not so cold or much snow in the south east of UK in our winters so we can leave it that much later.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 14:29
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Sounds wonderful! We are envious - bring on retirement, lol.

While not yet officially booked, we are looking at Las Dunas condos (Uvero Alto area) for summer of 2015 - doing our research, have been in contact with the owner and are hoping to stop in for a tour while in the area this July, so things are in motion. We too are the mercy of flight schedules (IF we continue to fly with AC, ugh) as they won't be out til August for next July - don't want to secure condo dates if can't get the flight we want/need.

Only looking at a week or ten days, and although we thoroughly enjoy the resort experience, we are excited to try a condo stay, and to see if this is something we'd consider for longer periods, once retired...in ten long years, lol.

Enjoy the anticipation - it's always a wonderful feeling when we look forward to being away :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

There are at least two fruit trucks near entrance to Playa Turquesa. When you say wholesaler near Gladys, I presume you mean Adrian who sells cheap liquor. He was there when we left 2 weeks ago. Carol will advise if he is still there.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 14:35
Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Hey Joe, all the fruit vendors are around in Dec and Adrian is open all year as he supplies the bars and hotels.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Christmas is a bit different as it is celebrated xmas eve in Dominican so xmas day is back to normal but I was thinking for next year to organize a xmas day pot luck dinner if any condo people in the area are interested, will see closer to the time.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Harman/ Gunrunner yes I meant Adrian.... Good to now he is open all year... Need to stock up on presidente and Brugal when we arrive ( thought he may closed for the holidays).

We like the guy in the blue fruit truck...he always gives my little boys bananas.

laceyBlue - I briefly looked at the Las Dunas apartments - they looked nice and th price was right , but a bit to remote to shops/ restaurants for my liking...we don't drive in DR.

So lucky we have the opportunity to do this - had such a great time this past January /February ..can't wait to get back .

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

JoHendo,

Yes, Las Dunas is a bit remote and we won't be driving either - not yet, lol. The owner encouraged a rental, but we'll see...

She gave excellent information about shopping, and the arranged transfer from the airport ($) would include an 1.5 hr stop for groceries, which would be a major stock-up. After that, we would have to take a taxi into Super Pola for anything major, as the little mini-mart at Plaza Uvero Alto has limited items. We're okay with all of this and are prepared to have to travel should we need anything. Perhaps after a stay, we'd be okay with the driving for a future trip. Apparently, the property manager has two cars available to rent if we'd like to try it for a day...

We had started looking in the El Cortecito/Los Corales area, specifically at Playa Turquesa and a few others - thing is, hubby is a big pool guy and likes to have a pool "right there" and I'm about being near the ocean...we saw a few that would fit the bill, and of course being so close to shops and restaurants would be ideal. But, something about the allure of the big, quiet beach at Las Dunas kept me going back to it. Ya never know - we might just have to try all areas to see what feels right :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who has booked condos for 2014/2015

Laceyblue - there is an Iberia supermarket in Friusa that would be closer to Uvero Alto than the Pola.

My hubby drove once this trip - our friendly fisherman across the street from our apartment lent us his car so we could go to Macao. He did pretty good on the highway but I don't think I could do it everyday.

We loved Villa Mare as it is only 14 apartments in the block...pool right there and literally across the street you are on the beach and it is beautiful... Some days we would sit on the beach other days we would go to Huracan cafe and use their beach lounges.

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro