We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental and driving in Punta Cana

hi Every one ,

1st time post here , need your expert advice , i plan to rent a car and drive around Punta Cana but would like to know it is safe to do this or take taxi is better ? family of 5 so rent a car is consider best for us ?

Thank you for your input !

Cheers

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Welcome to the forums!

It's really not advisable to rent a car in PC (some people still do it however)

The driving is nothing like you would experience in Canada and there is many bikes flying around in every direction. At night it's not advisable to drive at all really considering many of those bikes have no lights.

Should you still consider renting a car take note that you need a full package insurance that includes "Casa de Conductore"

Basically what that is, is god forbid you got in an accident and someone got hurt (doesn't matter whos fault) then you won't be put in preventive jail. The Casa de Conductore along with some other insurance that is in the complete package (don't know the name, maybe someone else will elaborate) will cover a lawyer and your bail.

On another note where are you staying in PC? A resort or a condo?..... I don't see why you would need a car rental in PC as there is not many places to go. Shopping / restaurants / bars etc are all really in a specific area and you would have no problem getting a taxi to and from whatever destination you wanted to go to.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 07:15
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Yes, welcome to the forum.

Bigjim93 has given wise words.

Just so you are not put off completely, we were in an apartment in the Playa Turquesa condominium and there were around a dozen people renting vehicles ranging from 4 x4's to small 2 door family cars. They were long stay people and not people in AI resorts. I investigated renting but found that it was really expensive to rent and can honestly say that the standard of driving is below US, Canadian and European Standards, but if you are a very experienced driver and have driven in other parts of the world, then you will have no problems if you stay with the traffic flow.

Be aware that it is the motorbike riders that have most accidents. Also it is imperative to have the insurance add on called Casa de Conductore as Bigjim93 says.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 08:54
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Car rentals are more for long stay vacationers and those in condos than resort life. We now have a local bus service that passes the majority of resorts in the Bavaro area (every 30 minutes). On top of that, the 2 major shopping areas have complimentary shuttles direct from your resort lobby.

What are your plans for driving?

To be fair, driving in Bavaro is pretty easy (that coming from someone experienced with local driving), but even after 8 years of daily driving...major cities still prove to be a less than enjoyable time behind the wheel.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Rentals are not particularly cheap also keep in mind the price of gas is very expensive.and there is not a gas station on every corner like in Canada, so you need to know there locations, and yes the driving is like nothing you will see in Canada. It is pretty easy to get cabs for 5 as most cabs are mini vans and they are relatively cheap a outside of resorts/ airports you can negotiate the fare a little.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 12:52
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Just for us, I'd suggest making use of taxis if you wanted to be out and about. While we felt perfectly safe with the drivers we had, hubby and I said we'd never attempt it ourselves - not that brave, lol. And honestly, I wouldn't want to try it for the first time with kids in the car - you just never know.

We are looking into a condo for next year, out in the more remote Uvero Alto area where the owner has suggested that renting a car would make sense - not that taxis aren't readily available, but cost-wise, she felt having our own vehicle would be the way to go and with the new highway, driving is has become "better". She made it sound very easy to get from the airport to groceries to condo and that's all well and good, but I think we'd like to be a little more accustomed to the ways of the roads before we rented a car, say for a trip after that. At the very least, the condo complex has a couple of cars for rent that we MIGHT take out for one day, just to try out in that area to some local stores, but not to take into any of the busier areas.....noooooo thank you, lol.

Good luck and enjoy your trip :D

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

With regards to safety in the Dominican Republic, the following report from a UK daily paper is worth reading.

theguardian.com/global-development/2013/jul/…

You will see that Pedestrians and motorcycle drivers or passengers involved in accidents comprised 83% of traffic fatalities in 2010, according to the WHO. Only 10% of the estimated half a million motorcyclists are licensed, according to government statistics.

UK
Level Contributor
909 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

We have driven all over the world, Mexico City is not for the feint hearted! but we would not even consider driving in the DR.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

i find some traffic descriptions of PC traffic above a bit well overdone.

within Bavaro, withn the Punta Cana area, driving is todays a easy thing which every experienced driver should be able to handle without any stress. thinking back in the day driving some western european countries, well, That ws crazy traffic and dangerous for the unexperienced.

leaving punta cana to visit Cities around the Island is something very different, i would not recommend such unless you are a long years experienced driver on Latin American Roads, it goes plain crazy there.

as for a week of a stay at a AI resort i do not really see the need for a rental car, as coming around the hotelarea is easy by public bus and always available cabbies, no need to search for a parking lot etc etc. and as a family of 5 you would need a bigger model of a rental car, not the small basic cars usually offered, such is expensive here. a Jeep suitable to sit 5 passengers comfy can including a reall full insurance come to a nice sum of $$$.

have fun

Mike

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Thank you for all the great advise , I have family of 5 and I rent a condo ( we are Vietnamese and we are not used to with Mexican food ...lOL... ) look like I better off with the taxi then . Thank you so much every one !!! Wish every destination vacation places have a forum like this .

We stay at Bavaro , is there any good restaurant and groceries near by ? Any big supper market or I need to ask the driver to let shop before come to Bavaro ? Thank you great people :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental and driving in Punta Cana

Tanngochuyn...where abouts in Bavaro are you staying? There are plenty of great restaurants around and there is Super Pola supermarket at San Juan shopping mall or another supermarket at Palma Real mall....both easy to get to .... We caught the local bus sitrabapu... Just stop it on the road. Cab from San Juan Mall to Playa Turquesa / Los Corales area was $20 from taxi stand inside the mall. We to rented a condo so if you need info please ask, will help if I can.

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro