We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

What's with the sudden influx of terrible reviews? I'm really starting to get concerned :( Do the service levels drop because it's out of season?

As a comparison of our expectations we stayed at the Grand Palladium Kantenah in Mexico the last 2 years.. Has anyone been to both & can offer some reassurance?

Edited: 22 July 2014, 07:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

I've been reading these reviews and wondering myself. Over 80% of the negative reviews are from North Americans. Obviously no research where they were going and what to expect. Cat Royal is definitely not the Ritz nor like any modern Vegas resort. Spanish is their language. Having said that I never had a big problem communicating my needs. Speak to staff nicely and with kindness you'll get good service. If you talk down to them like they are your personal slave you can expect staff to be cold and aloof towards you.

You might or might not get a washcloth in your room. If it's a deal breaker bring your own from home.

I always recommend to eat as many meals as possible on the Royal side. Food is way superior in Thalassa and Cata Tapa.

Yes, sometimes the electricity is not stable. It's never off for very long. These things can happen wherever you live, even in my hometown city.

The WiFi doesn't work very well in most of the rooms. Go outside on your balcony. The reason is the buildings are constructed of very thick concrete and the radio waves from the wifi repeaters can't penetrate them. If it's a very big issue that you need wifi in your room let them know. They have IT staff who can help you.

Keep expectations in check. This is one of the least expensive AO resorts in PC. It is not high end.

Stirling, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

I agree Marg. I think people's expectations are too high. When we were there we loved the bbq dinners at the Sea Blue. We thought the resort had very good food for an AI. We did the family side to do the buffet for lunch for the salad and a quicker bite. This became one of our faves after the one visit which was in May and we didn't think the service was bad for low season. We are going again for 2 weeks in October and we may see a difference at that time of year. We are anxiously counting down.

Toronto
Level Contributor
378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Marg and Dets,,, resorts do change. We have stayed at the Royal 2 time . But you Two have to have an open mind too... I have seen many resorts change maybe it is one of them. It would be sad!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Yes, sometimes changes do happen. There is one change at Cat Royal I'm not at all happy about and thats the time share hussling which is happening, specially to unsuspecting guests. I've no idea why head office in Spain got involved with this crap. There have been negative reviews resort wide in every location regarding this. I question if money gained through the vacation club scam will be worth the poor response by the majority of guests in the long run.

Cat Royal has a new manager. I really really miss when Josep was manager. I haven't been back since he left and not met the new guy but can say through e-mail things are definitely different. I've heard he is okay in person though.

There has been a significant difference in guest demographics in the past year or so. I saw it immediately upon my last visit a year ago. Traditionally the majority were from Europe, particularly Spain. They have a much different attitude and expectations. What you see now is what I call the "Expedia/Bookit crowd. They look for cheap deals to the Caribbean and go ahead and book their vacation with zip research or any clue where they are going. Expectations are much different and they are extremely demanding that a foreign resort should bend to their wishes. They book what has always been a quiet laid back property then complain there are no activities or entertainment is poor like it's some Vegas hotel. There is no American beer. No respect for guests wishing to have a quiet vacation and insisting on having loud boorish get togethers.

Yes, times have changed. :-(

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

So true Marg. It really is too bad that resorts that are billed as low key quiet resorts can not stay that way simple because people can not do research. There are enough other resorts out there that have loud activites going on all day that those that try to offer a different setting should be allowed to stay that way.

To me it's like someone booking McDonalds for a Formal dinner only to complain and demand to see the management because they only serve fast food and no one comes around to fill their glasses ot take their orders.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Marg, you said it all! really appreciate your comments. We are going back in Sept. for 2 weeks and have already booked for 10 days over Christmas. We love this resort, it provides everything we need in a tropical area. To the original poster, I am originally from Nottingham, but have lived in the US for many, many years

Laval, Quebec
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Take a look at the latest reviews! They are brilliant! Can't wait, we'll be there for 2 weeks in September, first time at CRB, 8th time to PC.

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

Is it just me or do the latest reviews seem a bit fishy.. They seem to talk about all the things people have complained about.

Anyway.. My expectations are for a nice quiet resort with a lovely beach to chill out on, reasonable food and friendly staff. I'm sure we will be fine but you know when you've spent a lot of money on a vacation it does worry you! My other half tells me to just stop going on tripadvisor.. Easier said than done haha!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

No, it isn't just you, Becky. I find some reviews fishy too. It goes both ways.

Follow your other half's advice. Stop reading the reviews. I know you've been following these forum posts and have a good idea what and what not to expect. Unless you're very unlucky you should have all your wishes regarding your vacation come true. Enjoy!!

Stirling, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent bad reviews of the Catalonia Royal

We stayed in Samana for the second time this past may and they too have added a VIP club sales people and there were reviews of how aggressive they were but for some reason we never had an issue. I am hoping that we have as good a time at the Cat Royal as we did last year. We are looking for the quiet, laid back resort of old. Hoping in October it will be.