We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

new hampshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

Really I'm so sick of hearing about nasty food at this retort, I never have read such bad food reviews EVER! we have been to Excellence, Iberostar Baravo. BahaiAmber & PC Princesshave never read nor been sick so what gives with the resort that people are aways crabbing about foul food???

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

I have no idea either, we thought the food there was just fine if not better than some other resorts. And no one that I know of got sick. I think one has to pay attention to the review itself, are they complaining about other things that you know not to be true, are they too fussy in general? Are the reviews fishy that they are completely unbelievable? When one writes a review its because they want people to now something, either they are thrilled and want to pass it on, or they are pizzed about something and want to steer people away... Are they trying to make a point?

When it comes to reviews I like to look at the pics more than I pay attention to the words people use b/c so many things are subjective... And I also think the best way to scare someone off is to talk about people getting sick or having nothing to eat.

Also people that read reviews need to keep in mind the small percentage of people that actually take the time to submit, the percentage of them that complain, the percentage of those that talk about the food, etc... Not enough for me to pay any mind.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

Thanks , I hope you enjoyed your stay and we looked forward to going to this Lovely resort!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

We had not been to MC for quite some time but while at the ME last year we spent about 4 days in and out of MC, everything looked the same, just as good, in fact we really enjoyed the vibe there and I know you will too.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

NewHampsireOgleman, We have stayed at the Maj C, had a Great time there, and never got sick from any of the food. So people, over drink alcohol, don't drink enough water to keep hydrated which the body needs, and some people use the food pretense to be a real to complain about anything they can about any particular resort. As a precaution though, we always bring a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, and Immodium AD, to every resort we visit in Punta Cana, and the Riviera Maya are resorts, in Mexico. Best Wishes, LeoSue

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

They give bad reviews about the food because it didn't meet their standards. What am I missing? If a lot of people are writing about food problems, it sounds like a trend the resort should address.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

Cooking for the masses, average resorts are not going to buy the best cuts, best ingredients, best anything unless the consumer is willing to pay for it. If you are willing to pay, pick a resort that offers a more upscale culinary experience. They certainly are not going to give up their bottom line for the # of people that leave negative reviews. Again only a small percentage of guests each month even leave reviews... How many of them are negative, how many of the negative are about food?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

Another thought. The resort puts out a better array of food than some resorts, the Royalton for example, the size of MCs buffet was larger/ had a better selection. The resort caters to many different nationalities, and most people will not find anything appetizing than what they are used to. Not everyone likes to try new things. Out of the items they are familiar with, they are probably not prepared the way you are used to, cutting that selection even more. And then there are things that you might not even prefer. Take for example me, I look at the things that are American, of those dishes, some don't look like I am used to and I keep walking, of the things that look "normal" to me, I don't eat potatoes so I dismiss all of those dishes, and beans, I don't care to eat salad much of the time... SoI'm not left with too much... Not the resorts fault nor should they address the picky American...

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

Food is so very subjective. Until you experience it yourself how does one really know.

Someone may like MacDonald's and not burger king. Or vice versa. Yet at the end of the day they are still both fast food burgers.

West Pittston...
Level Contributor
150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

We are booked for December and the food reviews did begin to concern us. But if you look at the volume of reviews vs how many claim "sickness" it's pretty minuscule. Also. I've noticed people say how horribly sick they were but then talk about excursions... Shows... Beach ect. I don't know what their definition of "sick" is but if I was that sick , I wouldn't be able to be active as these reviews describe.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why does so many people complain about food at MJ Colonial??

You got it... if sick by definition were experienced, food illness would affect all, not 10 in our party and the resort would have a problem on it's hands, that is never the case, it's always just the sickness that they got on the plane, or overindulged in everything, or the system wasn't used too, etc. And while off resort while on an excursion it is wise to keep your hands clean and keep hands out of one's mouth, I was forever telling our kids that. LOL.

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro