We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred Customer

Which Bavaro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Matteson, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Preferred Customer

I would like to know why do most of the Punta Cana hotels have "preferred upgrades"? Just treat the customers the same preferred or not I still paid for the services. I also want to know do I have to pay for premium liquor? My daughter just got back and she said they were mean and rude and the service at her hotel was digusting. Thinking of canceling my vacation to Punta Cana and going back to Jamaica,

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred Customer

who was mean and rude, and what resort?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred Customer

Most hotels / resorts have some sort of preferred / club / royal service type of thing, whether in Punta Cana, Jamaica, Mexico, Vegas, or wherever. You pay more - you get more. It's an easy concept to understand. In some cases, the differences between club and non are small, and in others, they are significant. In some cases, resorts are separated physically into sections. It's a different approach, but it's the same idea. Sometimes, both approaches are used. You get what you pay for.

There are 100 or so hotels in the Punta Cana region. They are different. Are you saying you are going to judge the entire region or island on what your daughter said about one resort? Do you think they are all the same? Do you think it's a Dominican thing? One resort serves premium liquor as a matter of course, and another does not. One might charge extra, and another does not. One might have poor or mediocre service, and another is great.

It's just like anywhere else. Different management, and different prices, make for different experiences.

Where did your daughter stay that they were rude and disgusting?

Mark

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred Customer

maybe he is saying that unless you upgrade you are treated differently?

nottingham.
Level Contributor
547 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred Customer

It's a very popular concept at all inclusive hotels with certain chains ie AM and Excellence resorts and usually works very well. We sometimes upgrade as we have this year to the preferred club but mostly don't bother.

We have never had an issue with it personally. As sometimes people want a little bit extra and are willing to pay for it.

This doesn't mean that you are treated as a second class citizen if you do not upgrade.

5. Re: Preferred Customer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 08:22
Edited: 31 August 2014, 08:22
Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preferred Customer

I think some hotels manage it well, while others don't.

At the Bahia Principe Punta Cana last year, they had signs everywhere saying to "upgrade your experience to the beautiful Esmeralda for just $x/night". This bothered me because it started to become clear that the hotel's focus was more on providing for Esmeralda guests, than those that paid for the regular Punta Cana section. They only roped off a large portion of the beach just for their guests and every year, would move services/perks from the regular Bahia's to the Ambar or Esmeralda.

Other hotels take a more inconspicuous approach. Ex: Palladium has the Imperial Club (offered by Transat in Canada). This was not an "in your face" approach, where there were signs everywhere showing what kind of amazing perks this VIP club gets and prominent areas that only the preferred guests can go to.

I think the OP has a valid point, but at the same time, each hotel is different. Hotels need to realize that once the guest has arrived, they need to try to offer the best experience for what the guest paid for, instead of making them feel like their #2 on their priority list or that they should still be upselling.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 08:23
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preferred Customer

Heck, my local diner gives me free items on occasion because I frequently go there.

And how would your daughter know what everyone else's status? Unless they announce they are preferred or they have a wristband, it may be impossible to tell. And if they are preferred, chances are they paid for that level, either by paying a premium for the trip or visiting the resort numerous times.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preferred Customer

It's not a unique concept...just a different name. You pay a bit more you get a bit more ....on airplanes you pay extra for business or 1st class seats, at a concert you pay more for front row seats, at a regular hotel do you get a standard double or a suite? Some resorts the " perks" may make it more attractive for people to pay extra, some resorts tthe" perks" aren't really worth the upgrade. It is totally up to the customer to decide what is important enough to them to warrant what they pay. I am sorry your daughter felt like she didn't get as good service, but it would be unfair to use one experience to paint a picture of what service is like and/ or the people of DR are like.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preferred Customer

I'd also like to know what resort. We have gone to some that we have upgraded and some not, never been treated differently when not paying to upgrade. And quite honestly when we have upgraded we have never been treated better than any other person that has not, just been assigned different amenities due to the level paid. I feel that the people in the DR go much more out of their way to make you feel welcome than some other destinations.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preferred Customer

We have been to D R 9 times last 12 years had a great time each time

Get answers to your questions about Bavaro