We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petit Jean State Park

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Petit Jean State Park

We will be visiting Arkansas this October. I have heard that you should avoid the weekends at Petit Jean State Park. Does this include Sundays? and is Mount Nebbo State Park also crowded on the weekends in October? Thank you

3 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petit Jean State Park

October should be a wonderful time to visit Nebo or Petit Jean. My only real problem has been summer weekend camping at Petit Jean or Nebo. It is wall-to-wall tents and RV's...and when you walk to the falls, the trail is pretty packed during those summer weekends. After Labor Day, campers are more scarce. The beautiful lodges and cabins at the State Parks are full on October weekends, so I'd begin now of you are interested in that. Bottom line, things will be fine - make that perfect! - on a Sunday in October at either park. You will love these places.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petit Jean State Park

Thank you JimJade3. Any hikes or drives we should not miss at either park. We are camping at Lake Ouachita, Mount Magazine and Buffalo Point in the Buffalo River National Park. We are thinking of visiting Mount Nebbo from Mount Magazine and Petit Jean on our way up to the Buffalo River. Open to suggestions : )

Appreciate all your help

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petit Jean State Park

In October your only option for getting on the Buffalo is the lower river where you will be camping. By all means take a short canoe trip. It will be glorious. If you have your own canoe you can put it in at Buffalo Point and float to Rush - just a couple hours or a half day with picnics and stops. If you rent, they make you put in just above Buffalo Point but the trip is still pretty short - and really gorgeous. You have to get on the river for sure. It is a very easy novice trip with great bluffs. Rush is an old ghost town which once had bustling zinc mines. The hike down to the waterfall at Petit Jean is a classic but is very steep climb back up - all on carved WPA/CCC rock steps from the 1930's. Also I really like another stair step trail down to a stream by "the old log cabin" on Petit Jean. The seven hollows trail is ok and the Bear Cave is spectacular but not long at all. Don't miss the view from "Petit Jean's grave." I have never enjoyed the Magazine trails. Nebo has a great "rim" trail. It is just below the top and rings the mountain. They have a lower "bench" trail which is basically an old road but it's all nice.

Reply to: Petit Jean State Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morrilton
Recent Conversations