We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

Please help us plan a short vacation in No. Arkansas. There is so much info out there. Also, anything that is a "must see" or a special place to stay or eat. Thank you in advance.

7 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

Not knowing your interests, here are some things I consider don't miss in the northern area of Arkansas and some nice places of lodging and dining:

1. State Parks. Arkansas excels in State Parks.

My favorites are Petit Jean, Mt Nebo and Mt Magazine. Petit Jean is the most interesting park, Mt Magazine has the most beautiful lodging and Nebo is a place to find peace and solitude. All three have some of America’s best views.

www.mountmagazinestatepark.com

ww.mountainstateparks.com/nebo

www.petitjeanstatepark.com

2. Arkansas music and ozark culture is very special and nowhere is better than the Courthouse Square on weekend evenings at Mountain View. Also nearby is the Ozark Folk Center State Park. Mountain View for some reason does not advertise well their courthouse music but trust me, it is amazing, and free.

www.ozarkfolkcenter.com

3. Buffalo River Country. The best way to appreciate one of America’s most beautiful rivers is to take an easy short paddle on the middle or lower Buffalo. Short of that, a drive through the Boxley Valley is pretty nice.

www.buffaloriverchamber.com/#axzz2f760UmGU

Eureka Springs is a must see.

www.eurekasprings.org

Crystal Bridges Museum is a must see. crystalbridges.org

Lodging and restaurants are pretty subjective. Here are some of my favorites in all categories:

Cabins :Mount Nebo State Park, Arkansas - Arkansas State Parks www.arkansasstateparks.comParks‎ ask for historic cliffside cabins 61 and 62

Cabins - Mount Magazine State Park

www.mountmagazinestatepark.com/lodge-cabins-restaurant/cabins.aspx‎

dynamite views and architecture

3. Inn at the Mill

www.innatthemill.com

no longer in the woods, surroundings developed but nice affordable place

4. New Orleans Hotel & Spa

www.neworleanshotelandspa.com

heart of eureka

5. 21c Hotel Bentonville‎1 (479) 286 6500

www.21cmuseumhotels.com/Bentonville

near crystal bridges

6. White Rock Cabins and Lodge

www.whiterockmountain.com/Cabins.html‎

rugged and rough but great isolation

7. Longbow Resort Arkansas Vacation Getaway

www.longbowresorts.com unbelievable

8. Gastons

Gaston's White River Resort in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas ...

www.gastons.com fishing

9. Dining upper upper scale: James at the Mill

www.jamesatthemill.com

10. Dining mid range: Local Flavor Cafe, restaurant & wine bar in Eureka Springs, AR

www.localflavorcafe.net

houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

Thank you for lengthy and very helpful reply!

Miami
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

The information in your previous reply is great. We are planning a long weekend in the Ozarks to enjoy everything you wrote about but especially to hike and see waterfalls. Do you have any special recommendations about those interests?

We are thinking of going in the next couple of weeks, what might the weather be like?

Thank you very much,

JAT

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

The weather has been very rainy lately and nice and cool. However, summers in Arkansas can get very hot, beginning right now; so I would plan seriously for sun and heat. - Caps, serious sun lotion, long sleeves and pants for mid-day. Also pick up old-fashioned yellow sulfur powder and shake some in your socks and elsewhere if you are hiking in the woods, to prevent chigger bites.

Don't let me discourage you from hiking in Arkansas. Hiking can be glorious this time of year. The foliage is dense and beautiful and can provide some nice shade. The rains of the past week should keep waterfalls going for a while, which is a problem in dry summer months - they often dry to a trickle.

The expert on waterfalls in Arkansas is Tim Ernst. He has a whole book on them and it is great:

Arkansas Waterfalls Guidebook - Tim Ernst

www.timernst.com/Products/H2O.html

Probably the most visited and most impressive falls might be at Petit Jean State Park. www.petitjeanstatepark.com

Lost Valley is really nice and easily accessible www.buffaloriver.com/lost-valley-trail/

Miami
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know -- except for the rains! I'm thinking maybe the fall with fall foliage would be better though!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

If you are looking for waterfalls, it seems now is a great time as they have been fed with some nice rainfall which is a little unseasonal. I suspect we are in for some dry weather. June is a great month here, expecially a little north into the Ozarks.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)

Come prepared for ticks if you hike this summer. For some strange reason they seemed to have survived the super cold winter rather well.

Reply to: Please help with a short vacation in No. Arkansas (Ozarks)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ozark
More Ozark Topics