We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of food and drink

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
cost of food and drink

Hi Everyone

Thinking of a Xmas break to Bansko and was wondering if anybody had any up to date prices on the cost of food , beer and especially the wine ! Also is there much to do and see other than skiing - sightseeing , walks etc - and are there enough touristy / clothes shops to keep my wife happy for a week ? Looking for a nice wintery break with mountains and scenery and great food / drink at reasonable prices . Any feedback would be great.

PS - not worried about the skiing aspect - also would Borovets be more suited to my needs ?

Cheers , Dodgy Dj

Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of food and drink

Bansko's a great place to visit - however over the Xmas holidays it can get incredibly crowded and you can wait for over 1 hour for the gondola to take you up the mountain! Also there's a possibility that there won't be enough snow.

OK - that's the negative over with ....

Positive

Great places to stay - really beautiful apartments - many owned by foreigners and are available to rent .

Loads of Mehanas (restaurants) and higher class places too. Prices are as cheap or as expensive as you want! Bulgaria still uses it's own currency 'lev' so it's real value for money.

We went to a cheap place to eat across from the ice rink - we had

2 crepes with real chocolate

2 cokes

1 litre of red wine

1 soup

1meat stew and bread

It came to 8 euro - which is approx £6.80

There's a quaint old town to see - I love it there ... in fact I will go again next week to experience Bansko in summer.

There is loads of info online and forums

I haven't been to Borovets so I can't compare the two

Bansko, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah, Bansko
Level Contributor
947 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of food and drink

Along the main street down towards town there are small boutique style shops and lovely souvenir shops that she can poke around in, which I love doing. Around the square you'll find plenty of bars/cafes to sit outside and people watch while she'll find more little shops. Don't forget the spas in the hotels, my favourite is at Kempinski located beside the Gondola, also treat yourselves to afternoon tea there.

The wine is good quality and very reasonable.

I've been visiting Bansko in both winter and summer months for 6 years and enjoy the rusticness (if that's a word)! of the town. We're going next week and staying 2weeks.

Fee

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of food and drink

Hi

Thanks for the info and great advice - looking forward to going already !

Cheers , Dodgy.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 18:57
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of food and drink

Hi Guys

Just one more thing ! Is there much to do other than skiing - Tobogganing , Sleigh rides , Dog sled , Winter walks , Snowmobiles etc ? Will be the icing on the cake if there is .

Cheers , Dodgy.

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of food and drink

There is nothing to stop you taking a few trips either to Sofia, Rila Monestary, Plovdiv etc as these are all at this end of the country and all worth a visit.

Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of food and drink

Fee2travel - we're also going tomorrow! (staying at BRT) .......see you there!

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of food and drink

Dodgy DJ, did you find any info regarding other things to do as I am looking for that myself.

Thanks

8. Re: cost of food and drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Bansko
Recent Conversations