We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight at Dana with kids

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight at Dana with kids

We are thinking about spending a night along with about 1 full day at Dana ( leaving Petra in the am, spending the night, and then leaving the next morning to maybe hit up either another hike outside of Dana ( Wadi Hudeira ,Wadi Weida or Wadi Ghuweir ). There will be 5 of us, myself and my husband and 3 of our kids. At the time of travel they will be aged 13, 11 and 9 years. We are thinking of doing the Wadi Dana Trail. What will the weather be like in April for this area? We would probably stay at the Dana Guesthouse so can they make arrangements to pick us up at the end of the trail, and if so , how much does it cost? Or is the only option to walk back whence we came?

Thank you very much!

27 replies to this topic
Petra
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Have a look at this link for great info on the hiking trails you mentioned: www.jordanjubilee.com/outdoors/canyoning.htm

If you walk the Wadi Dana trail you can spend the night at the Feynan Eco Lodge instead of doing the long drive back to Dana, check out their website: www.feynan.com You'll find info on prices of transfers / luggage transportation between Dana and Feynan on this site as well.

For the weather, Dana is at an altitude so it will be cooler, around 15 degrees Celsius and Wadi Feynan is much lower so it will be warmer than in Dana.

Enjoy your stay !

Patricia

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

We've been there in April this year and the weather was really good, we were really lucky as the day was cloudy so it was perfect walking weather. But even if it's sunny April shouldn't be too hot to be unpleasant.

With regards to accommodation you have a choice to stay in either in Dana village (there are currently 4 places to stay there, as there is a new kid on the block called Dana Moon ) at the beginning of the trail or in Feynan Lodge at the end of it.

You don't need a guide for this trail as it's completely straightforward, so only pay for picking you up.

The walk is surprisingly tiring, considering you are walking down and it's not steep or hard in any way (4-5 hours), so don't even think about trying to walk back up! Your kids wouldn't have it, I am sure.

We walked from Dana to Feynan, where we slept the next day, so had our luggage transferred for about 45 JOD. There is a pricelist on Feynan Ecolodge website.

I think the price would be the same no matter who provides the service (it can only be done by the local people as it's inside the protected area).

Wadi Dana is stunning- one of the highlights of our trip to Jordan.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Thank you Monja and Patricia! So for us to walk from Dana guesthouse down to Feynan , the ride back to Dana would be 45 JD? That seems a very steep price. How far of a drive is it from Dana to Feynan? The websites say the vehicle will hold up to 4 people.. will it hold 5 of us since 3 are kids? Not keen on paying for 2 vehicles. Would you recommend staying at Feynan Lodge over Dana guesthouse, keeping in mind we will have to get 2 rooms? The warmer temps do sound more welcoming I must admit!

Good to hear that the weather should be good though. THe kids should be ok with a 4-5 hr walk.. we took them to Utah one year for 11 days and I don't think we hiked less than that on any given day. They even did 9 hrs into the Narrows hike in Zion National Park, and that was a couple years ago. :D But yeah, don't think any of us would like the walk back up, lol.

Patricia, that was the site I actually got the information on the other wadis from to begin with, lol. :) Thank you.

Anyway, thanks again!! Much appreciated! :D

Petra
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Yes the Jordan Jubilee website is a fantastic source of information ;-)

The drive from Wadi Feynan back to Dana will take you +/- 2 hours, the best way (and maybe the only possible way) to get back up the mountain is via a village called Tafila, so it's quite a detour. The jeeps that are used for the transport are usually old Nissan or Toyota pickup trucks, don't expect anything fancy. It will be pretty uncomfortable to be squeezed in the back with 4 people for about 2 hours, even when 3 of them are kids. Why not e-mail them and ask if they can arrange a minivan maybe instead ?

A night in Wadi Feynan will be considerably warmer than in Dana in April, but in Dana you have the possibility to book 1 big room for all of you, which is not the case in Feynan. Book well in advance though they only have 9 rooms at the Dana Guest House and April is usually the busiest month in spring.

Patricia

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Thank you Patricia! I didn't realize the drive was so long! Hmm, might have to rethink this.. 1 night in Dana with our luggage transported to Feynan and then a transport for us back to Dana the next day, plus hotel and food will cost us upwards of $450-500.. for 1 night. We are already spending time in Wadi Rum. Maybe we shall have to give overnight at Dana a miss, stay in Madaba and try and get in some of the smaller hikes that I had previously mentioned. I ordered the book " Jordan - Walks Treks Caves, Climbs and Canyons: In Pella, Ajlun, Moab, Dana, Petra, Rum by Di Taylor and, Tony Howard so hopefully it can pinpoint me some close hikes. Disappointing, but who knows, I may change my mind and decide it's worth it regardless. :) I'm known to do that a lot, lol. THank you again very very much!

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Dear Halilee,

I have one other suggestion based on my experience. This spring, I spent one night in Feynan, and then we drove to Dana for one night and hiked. You're right--the two days was very expensive. My personal opinion is that I would give Feynan a pass. I would spend one night at the Dana Guest House, which has wonderful rooms with private balconies overlooking the Grand Canyon-like wadi. You can walk down a bit toward the trail to Feynan, but just go 45 minutes or so. (You'll need to walk up afterwards!) Then, I'd go to the Rumanna (spelling?) campsite. You get free transportation from the headquarters of the Dana park. Once down there, you can do a number of absolutely wonderful trails.

By the way, we found the food at the Dana lodge delicious. That's a bonus.

Does this help at all? If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

best, Tip

Petra
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

I agree with Tip, Dana is a beautiful place and it would be a shame to miss it, I once did the White Dome Trail from Rummana Camp site to Dana and that is also a very very nice one. And those 2 places are just a few kilometers apart so you could ask for transportation in the morning from Dana to the campsite and then hike that trail back to Dana, the only thing with this trail is that you need a guide for it. Check out the www.rscn.org.jo website, I'm sure there are hiking trails around the campsite for which you don't need a guide ...

About the other trails you mentioned, I did the Wadi Ghweir trail last August, it is absolutely amazing but I was happy that we had a guide. I wonder if people ever do it on their own, first of all you need to know where it starts, then on the hike there is one place where you need to climb under a rocks to the other side to continue the trail, don't know if I would have found that on my own and we had transportation to the starting point and then again in the afternoon at the end of the canyon ...

I think Wadi Bin Hammad or Wadi Weida'a are the only 2 trails where you return back to the same place so ideal if you have a rental car.

Patricia

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Hmmm, you guys are making me rethink this, lol. Especially since I added that extra day to Petra which Patricia mentioned in another post that 2.5 days in Petra would be too much and 1.5 days would be enough... sooooo.. maybe I'll have to suck it up and hit up Dana after all and stay at the Dana Guesthouse. :) Still might have to do the entire walk down to Feynan and get the ride back up though.. will see, I'm sure the book I ordered will have lots of walks mentioned and from what I read, the guesthouse also has several pamphlets on different walks?

It will be interesting to see what the trails are like in comparison to Utah.. I've been quite surprized to see how many need guides in Jordan.

We're still tossing up the idea of a rental car.. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, but my husband is weary of driving in the country. But it would certainly make it easier to get from one place to another, barring we didn't get lost, lol.

To give you an idea of the itinerary if we add in Dana, it would be like this:

Day 1- Drive from Dahab to Wadi Rum and overnight

Day 2- Wadi Rum and overnight

Day 3- to Petra in am and Petra in the afternoon

Day 4- Petra

Day 5- to Dana reserve and hike(s). Stay at Dana Guesthouse

Day 6- to Madaba via King's Highway doing any short hikes along way that we feel like such as Wadi Bin Hammad or Wadi Weida or another in Dana

Day 7- Dead Sea, Bethany , Mt Nebo

Day 8- Jerash

Day 9- Fly Home 4am

So the only difference if we didn't do Dana was change day 5 to another Petra day. How does the above itinerary look to you guys? Thanks again, you guys have been a world of help!!

Petra
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Your itinerary looks great. I would definitely try to convince your husband that a rental car is the best option for you. It's gives you more freedom, many people do it and even if you would get lost a few times you'll find nice and helpful people to guide you back in the right direction. The most chaotic place to drive is Amman and you're not going there so the rest of the country is easy, most roads are good and all tourist signs are in English. On day 8 after you visit Jerash you can also visit the Castle in Ajloun, it's really nice and not far from Jerash.

Patricia

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight at Dana with kids

Patricia was way ahead of me, of course1 (SMILE) I'd definitely add Ajloun to your day in Jerash. It's a tremendous anti-Crusader castle. It's i good condition, and it's very impressive. I think that your itinerary looks terrific. You're going to have a great time.

By the way, this spring, I finally went to the Dead Sea Museum (and overlook). The building is gorgeous, and I thought that the exhibit was very good. If anyone is near the Dead Sea, it's well worth the stop.

take care, Tip

Reply to: Overnight at Dana with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dana