We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend Tour companies

dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend Tour companies

I am planning a trip to Cuszo and then onto to Manu National park , Has anyone used the tour comapny www.manuperuamazon.com or can recommend any good tour agents for manu ??

Edited: 04 April 2011, 14:05
Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Recommend Tour companies

We did a 4D3N Manu National Park Tour on 20Oct with Amazon Trails Peru. We saw different species of birds and they look amazing. The tour was well organized, the guide is knowledgable, the accommodation basic but clean. Though one of the lodge did not have electricity but we find the environment very peaceful, quiet and nice. Also we enjoy and love the food prepared by our cook, Martin!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Recommend Tour companies

Has anyone used North Peru Tours ?

San Jose, California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Recommend Tour companies

I did a tour through Manu Adventures. Never use Manu Adventures! The people in their office told us and others on our tour many lies just to get us to give them our money. They told us we would do things and see things that were not even possible to do. Go with any other company!

Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Recommend Tour companies

I realize that it has been awhile since your trip to Peru, but....could you give the cost and with the following info in mind would you recommend for single person?Female,50+, want recommendation of travel agency for single traveler (no cruise, strongly prefer own room, no high energy death marches!) for 7-10 day excursion. Want mid to high end first part of July 2014. Would like recommendation for which country to visit, tour group, and any suggestions! Thank you...

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Recommend Tour companies

ATALAYA

Although our guide (an independent contractor) was excellent, I have some issues with the tour operator Atalaya. I booked an 8D/7N tour with this company for $1270 USD. They operate their own lodge, RESERVA ECOLOGICA CHONTACHAKA. They use volunteer labor to develop this lodge, which they then use for profit for their tour agency. Unfortunately, the lodge is in marginal condition. Holes in the mosquito nets, holes in the building screens, unfriendly volunteers, and poor communication about activities.

The lodges that we stayed at within/close to the park zone were excellent: Casa Matsiguenka and Pantiacolla Lodge (Atalaya has to pay for these locations). The remaining nights were spent at Amaru Mayu and again at Chontachaka.

Let me describe Amara Mayu, and it's owner. Dante operates this lodge. He is supposedly the former husband and father of the tour operator's children (according to one of the Chontachaka volunteers). His lodge literally is falling apart. One corner of the lodge, which is perched precariously on rock (no obvious tie-downs or drilling connections into the rock) has collapsed. His solution is to close the door to that room. I read through the reviews here after I returned and it sounds like the lodge has been in this condition for several years. Dante barely provided a tour at his lodge, and 90% of it was in Spanish. The day officially become a "day off" from the tour.

In summary, this tour group presents themselves as an "ecological reserve." They are reforesting parts of their land while clearing another part of their land to build a second lodge and third lodge. Their lodges are in substandard condition. And their family ties to substandard lodges mean a substandard tour.

www.atalayaperu.us/#/about-us/4574931911

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Recommend Tour companies

Hello Karlakay, just saw your post. My wife and spent 3 weeks in Peru in May/June 2013, so not too far removed. By far the best part of our 3 weeks was touring the Manu National Park with Hebert Zuniga the owner of Wild Watch Peru (www.wildwatchperu.com). He is extremely professional and knowledgeable and worked his butt off to make sure we had a fantastic experience (saw a Jaguar, but obviously there's no guarantee of that!). Once in a lifetime experience. Highly recommend Wild Watch Peru. We were able to book on fairly short notice, so I'd expect you'd still be able to make your July timeline. Hebert actually took leave from filming with the BBC in the area to take us himself. Spend as much time as you can. I can't imagine doing it in less than 5-7 days and we hated leaving even after 10.

Tom

27. Re: Recommend Tour companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:15