We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Hi,

I will be in Peru in September and still cannot make up my mind about the Amazon part of the trip. I eventually settled for the 5 day trip with flights in and out with Inkanatura - to and from the Boca Manu airstrip. Recently, I re-checked the website and it says that now they are flying to Puerto Maldonado instead and then a whole day of overland and boat travel to get to and from the Manu Wildlife Center. Seems that this arrangement is going to last a while (although I cannot get a reply from them when I asked). The trip I was planning also goes into the reserved zone to their Manu Tented Camps - so that is a lot of travelling for 5 days. Do you think it is still worthwhile? (I do not have any more days to spare for this unfortunately)

I was now wondering whether other companies also use the same plane to get to Boca Manu? They don't seem to have changed their itineraries, but I guess that is no indication of anything. In the case they are using different planes then I guess I would do a similar trip with Amazon Trails Peru. Any thoughts about this company? Was interested in Pantiacolla too but their trips do not coincide with what I want to do.

Thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

I am also going in September - I was disappointed I couldn't find anything reasona. when I was checking the only trip I could find was Pantiacola - this was a 6day with bus in fly out. Maybe they were also flying from PM.

I think I am now going to go for the trips to Tambopata.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

We just returned from a 5 day with Pantiacolla. From what we gathered, flights in and out of Boca Manu have ceased and there are no plans to restart them. Our 5 day turned into a 6 day as it took 2 days to drive/canoe back to Cusco.

Nonetheless, I would highly recommend a visit to Manu, it was breathtaking, travel in and out simply became part of the trip. Feel free to write me directly with questions. Scott

scott@lava.net

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Consider flying Lima to Iquitos instead, and seeing "the real Amazon".

Most tourists are passing thru Lima anyways so put it at the start or end of your trip.

Peruvian Airlines and Star Peru both fly Lima Iquitos.

Your lodge will have a fast boat from Iquitos, should take approx 2 to 4 hours for most cases.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

A lodge located 4 hours from huge Iquitos city is nothing in comparison to a 5 day trip to Manu reserve, one of the biggest in the world.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Ludicrous. Look into Explorama, Tahuayo, Pacaya-Samiria, Yarapa. Transport is a lot more efficient.

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…iquitos

Edited: 29 June 2011, 15:31
Derby
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

I went to Manu Reserve with Inkanatura last October and i would not use Inkanatura again!

I got an email a week before we were due to go saying that the plane was in for maintenance and we were offered the alternative of overland or our money back but due to the fact that we were going on the inka trail the following day we did not have time to find another company so opted for the overland trip.

We did the Cusco to Cock of the Rock lodge and then onto Manu Reserve and the travelling was awful, it took 13 hours to get to Cock of the Rock lodge where we stayed overnight then 3 more hours of driving before a 7 hour boat trip to get to Manu Wildlife Centre! The guide we had was only interested in birds and we had to complain to get him to take us on a evening trail when we got to Manu.

We expected rain as we were in a rain forest but nothing was done to counter this and we ended up just sitting under cover for 5 hours waiting for it to stop raining.

The night we went to the Tapir lick it was a full moon and it was only after sitting there for 2 hours that the guide decided to tell us that the Tapirs wouldnt come because it was too bright, no great issue really as we got to see the resident Tapir at the lodge the evening before but all the same he could have done something different.

All in all i would have to say that the area is fantastic but the company and guide were not very good at all.

Dont let my experience put you off from going but i would think seriously about using Inkanatura as we could not get in contact with them after we had paid several months before we got to Peru until they emailed us the week before we were due on the trip. Not very good service for the overall price tag!

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
70 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Any updates on the flight situation? I have an email in to my contact at Inkanatura and will post what I hear from them. Their website still says they fly out of Boca Manu.

To the previous poster: I appreciate your review. I signed on deliberately for the tour you went on accidentally. It sounds like great fun to me, which goes to show we all have different wants. If you'd just said it was terrible, that wouldn't have been nearly as helpful. At least I know now to constantly hassle Inkanatura for up-to-date info since we are on a limited-time trip. I need to know of any changes in advance.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

D_DayDerby: very sorry for your experience on your jungle trip

Inkanatura has been in business for a long time and as far as I knon it has been a very reliable travel agency

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

Sorry: as far as I know....

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
70 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boca Manu flights not running anymore?

I can't agree that Inkanatura is bad about communication. Carmen emailed me back on a Sunday and included a revised itinerary. On a Sunday!

For anyone else doing a Manu trip with them this fall, they are just changing the final day. Before, it was early breakfast, boat ride to Boca Manu, flight back to Cusco. Now it is very early rousting, breakfast on the boat with wildlife watching, then a trip by a combination of boat and van to Puerto Maldonado and commercial flight out to Cusco. The way I see it we get more trip for the money and less time at altitude back in Cusco before we head to Machu Picchu. As long as we make our train the next morning I'm happy.