We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest in Petra?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Unrest in Petra?

I have a friend who is plannig a trip to Israel and Petra beginning on March 5. She is considering postponing the trip due to the recent unrest and shelling. What is your opinion? Is it unusually tense over there? Or is this all just media hype? Is there anyplace that you would not travel? Thanks for your help as always.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unrest in Petra?

There is no reason to cancel a trip to Israel or Jordan now.

The area of unrest is isolated for the most part to the Gaza Strip, far away from any area a tourist would be seeing.

She would be hard pressed to even know anything is happening even while she is there.

I have said this before....... I feel much safer in Israel or Jordan than I do when driving to the airport to get there, even now.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unrest in Petra?

Hi Leafpeeper,

Your friend has absolutely nothing to fear, Petra is in JORDAN and not in GAZA, they are different places and far apart!

Any place in Jordan is perfectly safe to travel!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Unrest in Petra?

I have just returned from Jerusalem and its packed with tourists - nothing wrong at all.

Don't worry.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unrest in Petra?

No worries.

Its completely fine to travel, very safe, and she will see many tourists around from all over.

take care

5. Re: Unrest in Petra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:16