We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

I will be in Eilat in February and was thinking of "hopping" over to Petra.

It seems that 1 day tours are not enough time (only about 4 hours in Petra), so was thinking of doing a 2 day tour.

Any suggestions / comments on how to do it myself (getting to Petra, sleeping at Petra, returning to Eilat). Specifically the transportation back and forth and the border crossings are what I am interested in.

I read in this forum that guides are not really needed to see Petra, so I would do it on my own.

Thanks to all.

Aqaba
Level Contributor
503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

Hi,

I think it is good idea to plan it for two days.

You can cross the border at Eilat/Aqaba and then take a taxi or a public bus to Petra. It takes about 2 hours to get there.

If you decide to go by taxi, you don't even have to get into the downtown of Aqaba just agree with one of the taxi drivers at the border. The fare should be around 35-40 JD one way.

The public bus is cheaper, only 5 JD, but slower and there is no schedule. The buses leave from the Aqaba bus station when they are full.

Source:

www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/petra.html

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

Thanks EsTeh. I was hoping that there was a direct bus from Aquaba to Petra.

40 dinars each way, by taxi, is over $110 round trip. Since i'm travelling solo it will be on the expensive side.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

Esteh what about the service taxis and mini-buses that operate from Aqaba to Petra / Wadi Rum etc

have they stopped now ?

A one day tour is possible if you leave early enough.

How long you spend in Petra is up to you. It takes around 1.5 hours from Aqaba to Petra and you need around 1 hour from Eilat to cross the border - some people do this. You can get around 6/7 hours there which is enough for most people.

I believe this border is open 24 hours or at any rate long opening hours - but do check.

Aqaba
Level Contributor
503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

Dhiban,

I mean "public buses" = "minibuses" :-))

The ones that leave from the Aqaba Police station.

Also there are service taxis there, they charge around 30-35 JD per car.

Philadelphia PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

a) Is the price for a taxi from the Arava/Eilat border crossing for the vehicle or is it per person? (Two of us will be travelling in May.)

b) I'm not clear about whether shared taxis are available at the border, or whether you just find one on your own.

c) Is there anywhere to exchange money at this border crossing?

Thanks!

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

Taxis charge per journey (up to 4 persons)

Service taxis charge per person or an individual can take the car for himself by paying the empty places.

Better to get a normal taxi at the border to Aqaba centre and from there change your money and get a mini bus - ie service. As far as I know only normal taxis wait at the border but you can negotiate with them a price to Petra, why not just to see.

Better to change money at exchange offices than the banks which give less rates.

7. Re: Touring Petra by myself from Eilat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa