We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra/Wadi with kids

England
Level Contributor
974 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Petra/Wadi with kids

Hi

We're staying in Taba but i'd like to take the kids to Petra

3 girls eldest 9 and twins at 5 - so yes they are very young for such a trek.

The trips that go from Taba all seem to be day trips, which I agree would be too long for the kids so ideally i'd like to travel there one day, stay over and then make our way early to Petra before the midday sun takes its toll.

I've just been reading about a tour that operates out of Eilat. You go over to Jordan, take 4 wheel drives to the Wadi, then camp out under the stars with the Bedioun. The following day you go to Petra, then back to Taba via Eilat.

So - couple of questions that I'm hoping some expert will help me with

1) Embarassingly enough I don't know what the Wadi is - it conjures up images of an oasis in the desert (but I think I've been watching too many Bob Hope films). I tried to look it up but some photos just show sand, others show lovely rivers with waterfalls, etc - Ideally, I'd like to stop near some water. can someone explain?

Are we better going to Petra by Ferry from Taba rather than Eilat?

I believe it's quite a walk up to Petra but there are donkey's, camels & horses available? I don't want to support animal cruelty so what's the honest opinion of the welfare of these? Not so much for mum or dad but would it be ok to put one child on a donkey each to save their legs? (also, I'll find it really upsetting if they're in really bad condition and it will put me off all day?)

The overnight Bedoiun camp sounds like a real adventure and the kids are always nagging to go camping, so thought this might be the perfect opportunity. Has anyone done this before? (sorry for stupid question but what about toilet facilities?)

I know it seems a lot for kids and people think we're mad, but they are used to travel (they've trekked through the rainforest in Borneo, gone to the Pyramids and Jerusalem)as long as we keep them well hydrated and interested - they love it.

Last question - promise, what's the security like? I've read several conflicting articles.

Phew - that's all folks unless you can recommend a tour operator from Taba...

Cheers

Sharon

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

I believe the best way is from Taba to aqaba - the ferry takes about 2 hours and is very enjoyable the kids will love it. That will save you money on exit and entry fees of egypt and israel plus the slog -

Additionally you really need a stopover so that you aren't knackered and get grumpy with the heat and dust and stuff and get time to relax.

Many families do Petra and wadi rum. Its great and exciting for kids. Youre kids are at the right age to enjoy thoroughly.

Donkeys and other animals are cared for by a british charity so . . . . . as far as I see they are well looked after and I personally don't see any probs with the work they do - but then I don't work for animal rights !!! Im a normal person and accept what I see as . . acceptable. If they didn't have these animals many people would not enjoy Petra or see as much of it. I recall enjoying my yearly rides on Blackpool beach on the donkeys until someone decided it was cruel and inhuman . . They all looked fine to me but ït was decided"it amounted to cruelty - I believe its political correctness gone mad. Donkeys and mules etc are beasts of burden and are working animals. . .

I don't know what conflicting reports concerning security you are referring to but Jordan is a very safe place. Safer than even your home country and many of the places you've been to. Petra has a high police presence and your safety and security is their prime concern.

You can easily get to Petra from Aqaba so don't think you need a tour operator and from there you can arrange to go to wadi rum AND BACK TO AQABA.

HAVE A GREAT TIME - DON'T BE HESITATNT - JORDAN IS GREAT pITY YOU CAN SEE MORE OF IT.

montreal
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

We took our ten year old to Petra and walked the whole site, even up to the Monastery. I think it might be too much for your younger ones and the donkey ride would probably be a novelty so I would go that way, if you want to save a few dollars refuse all offers of a donkey right up to the start of the path, at that point they may go down a few dinars. I would walk the rest of the site as you will want to stop frequently just to see things and that will allow the children to sit down. Our hotel, the Valley Stars Inn, sent us to a Turkish bath after our day at Petra, our son loved it, you may want to try it, it is very relaxing and your children will never be so clean. If you take an excursion into Wadi take plenty of water and snacks, some the jeeps break down, you`ll want to eat while waiting for another jeep to come along, no worries, the drivers have cells and will call for help if needed.

As to the safety issue no worries, Jordan is very secure.

England
Level Contributor
974 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

Hi

Thanks for your responses.

It's working out quite expensive at the moment, for 6 of us its over $2000 dollars, that's including the evening in a Bedouin camp so I may have to rethink or look for cheaper options.

Is there a port in Taba that goes to Aqaba? Would it be easy to make our own way across - I thought you had to submit your passport details 24 hours in advance of travel to Jordan? We wanted to go last year just for the day but left it till the last minute to book and then they didn't have time to send our details across - is this just when travelling with tour operators?

Does Aqaba have a beach - if so, i might miss out the Wadi and look for some accommodation near Petra, where there's a pool or near a beach so the kids can just kick back?

Other than the Wadi, is there anything near Petra that the kids would enjoy for an afternoon or so?

I want to give them a bit of an adventure that they will enjoy and remember (plus teach them something) as the rest of the holiday will be spent at the resort in Taba chilling out.

Sorry for all of the questions

Sharon

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

I don't know if you read my post above but I said

its better to cross from Taba - Aqaba - check out this really good website giving details of the service with contact numbers.

your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/taba_to_aqaba…

You don't have to stay overnight in wadi rum you can do the American tour . . ie a 3/4 hour drive around in a 4 wheel drive. You can just turn up at the visitor centre and they will arrange a vehicle and guide etc.

Most of the camps give discounts for groups like yours (6) the day trip costs about $100 for the

lot and an overnight - probably you could get it for around $300 for the lot.

Minibus from Aqaba will cost you around $60 - hotels from around 25JD per double/triple room incl b/f.

Why not hire a car and drive there - it would be cheaper and is easy. Car hire from $35 per day

Don't forget entry into Petra is 21 JD each or $28

If you go overland by public transport - you will save some money but its tiring. You could arrange a car to take you from Tab to ISRAELI BORDER AND FROM THERE A CAR TO AQABA BORDER. It will be cheaper than the ferry.

England
Level Contributor
974 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

Hi

Yes, sorry - I didn't word my post very well. I did read your post and meant to ask, was the Port actually in Taba and would it be easy enough to get there (to the Taba Port) from the Movenpick. Then how far from Aqaba is Petra.

This website address is fantastic and has helped me immensely (although I'm still not sure on the above questions but I'm probably being a bit thick).

We will definitely travel to Petra now although I think the Wadi trip might be too heavy going - for some strange reason I thought there was some water involved because I'm sure I saw a 'spring' mentioned and the kids would be able to take a dip. Now I know that Wadi, actually means dried up river bed, so how wrong could i get?

The site also shows a castle, which the kids will love exploring. I'd really love to do the candlelit tour but reading the site it explains that you all walk in silence to truly appreciate it - this sounds fantastic but my although my children are well behaved, they're not too skilled in the art of silence, so I'll give it a miss until they're a bit older!

Just one last question (promise) - if we rented a car, how long would it take to drive to the Dead Sea from Petra?

Thank you for all of your help - you've been a proper star!

Sharon

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

Hi Sharon - well first the Movenpick at Taba is fabulour - its my favourite hotel there even though there are a dozen luxury hotels. . . The Ferry is only 5 minutes from the Movenpick and there is a little open air electric bus that does the rounds of TABA which stops off at all the hotels and the port and does the rounds every 30 minutes or so. otherwise the hotel will arrange for you to be dropped off.

From Aqaba to Petra its 1.25 hours approx. If your kids like swimming better to stay somewhere like the Crowne Plaza where they have a nice pool - they will love it after tramping around Petra and seeing the setting for the Indiana Jones movies.

Regarding wadi rum - thousands of kids go every year

and its not necessary to wander around stum . . .

kids will be kids and they are noisy - no probs with that. There is a castle it was built for one of these tv series type programmes but interesting for kids. Anyway perhaps you can decide once there.

From Petra to Dead Sea will take about 3 hours -

if the kids like castles - then perhaps stop off at Karak Castle its the scene of a large Crusader battle against Salaheddin. Also Shobak castle which has interesting tunnels inside. Shobak is about 40 minutes from Petra.

Don't hesitate if you have any further questions.

7. Re: Petra/Wadi with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 05:29